QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

A SURPRISE PACKAGE WOW!

I received a surprise package in the mail a couple days ago.  From a good friend (non blogger).  It contained an antique quilt.  She had been lucky enough to get several quilts at a garage sale for twenty dollars each.  I saw Jean a week ago and she showed me pictures of the quilt and said she thought I would like it because it is brown.  I had no idea she would send it to me.  Here is a picture.

And a close-up.
I think this is a Triple Irish Chain but correct me if I am wrong.  The colored squares in the main body of the quilt have an "X" quilted in each.  The off white squares are quilted with a square about 1/4" in.  The squares on point and the strips surrounding have a continued pattern of squares quilted just as if those strips consisted of separate squares.  There is a small hole in the quilt.  I can see that a thin cotton batting was used.  The quilting stitches nicely done.  The corners of the quilt slightly rounded.  The young people selling the quilts did not want them even though they were passed down in the family.  Thank you, Jean!

I have updates on quilt projects to share but will do that another day.
Karen

29 comments:

  1. What a wonderful surprise and gift.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. young people sometimes have no appreciation for the work in heirlooms - sad to have them sell - but glad your friend got them and they are now safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Karen--this is a wonderful antique quilt. You have a very generous friend indeed ...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special gift from your friend. And what a lucky quilt to come to someone who will appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how pretty and thoughtful. A truly beautiful quilt. Your friend is very nice to have given this to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you!! I am so happy that the quilt found a home that will appreciate it! Thanks for sharing this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! She is a real beauty and went to a good home where she will be appreciated and loved!! What a happy ending!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  8. que buenos y generosos amigos!!!!!
    el regalo es una preciosidad y una joya
    felicidades para las dos por la mistad que se tienen
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful gift and a very thoughtful friend. I'm glad the quilts have found good homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you!! Gorgeous quilt. What a special friend you must be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Yes, it *is* a triple Irish chain. (You can identify it by counting the number of blocks where the center [white] chains cross. There are seven blocks at this point across a triple Irish chain while there are only five across a double Irish chain.
    What a wonderful treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you! What a lovely friend to gift this quilt to you. Great that she has " saved" the others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a find and a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful, caring gift! I love the border on that quilt. You have an amazing friend to share with you like that.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a treasure! A sweet gift for someone who will truly appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lucky lady you are. Those old cotton quilts are sure nice on a summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christmas in April! What a wonderful gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful gift. Lucky for you and lucky for the quilt to have a new home. I especially like the pieced borders. Unique!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It does break my heart to see family treasures not appreciated within the family, but I am so glad this quilt has a home where it will be appreciated. What a happy thing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is beautiful!! She knew you would treasure it:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a beautiful and generous gift!
    I love to see quilts fall into the hands of those that deeply appreciate them! Enjoy your new treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty present! Your new (old) quilt seems so soft and loved...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How nice to get such a surprise in the mail. That will be my quilts one day out on the garage sale table. I hope they get as good of a home as this one did.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Their loss! Kind of sad...
    But so sweet your friend gifted you with the treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's sad the owners didn't want it, but it is in a good home now! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow how wonderful is that!!! It's so sad when young people don't appreciate these kinds of hand-me-downs. My mom sold all of my great great aunt's quilts for $10 each in a garage sale. I told her I would have paid her that and more since I was the quilter in the family....sheesh.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have good taste in friends AND quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful-- what a classic and in such good shape....

    ReplyDelete
  29. now that is a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete