QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

SEWING LIKE A MADWOMAN

I put the pedal to the metal and got the sewing machine going.  I was determined to get the pieced blocks made for the "Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler Quilt".  My husband asked if I was in a competition with someone as I was at the machine so much the last three days and bouncing back and forth to the computer.  I have had the applique blocks done for a while and sitting on the back of the sewing machine cabinet.  They kept beckoning to me asking to be used in a quilt.  Here is the completed quilt top.  Too large for the design wall so DH is standing on a stool holding it up for a photo.
The pattern I used is by Lori Smith and can be found here.  I will show you a picture of the quilt shown on the pattern cover.
I did not do the notched corners.  I had mixed feelings about that.  I do think it gives the look of an antique quilt to have the notched out corners but I do not have a bed that I would be able to use it on.  I opted for full borders instead.  My piecing abilities are not what they used to be.  I lost a few points and it was difficult on blocks with many pieces to end up correct size.  The block sashings helped solve the size problem.  I enlarged the blocks from 5 inches to 7.5 inches as I thought the original measurements of 51 by 56 inches for the quilt not a very usable size.  And it made the applique easier to accomplish.  I used a variety of reproduction fabrics for the quilt.  What is your favorite block in the quilt?  Mine is the bird block in the next to last row on the far right.  Some of the other blocks are a close second.

A picture of the quilt laying on the kitchen floor for a lack of a better place to lay it out.
I cut out all the pieced blocks at the same time that I prepped the applique blocks.  Then I stored them in order in a plastic bag but the bag was not large enough to do them in one stack.  Somehow, when I pulled the three stacks out of  the bag, I got the blocks out of order.  I have yet to find the pattern.  I have seen it many times since doing the applique blocks but now it has hidden itself somewhere.  I printed off a copy of the pattern picture from the internet and worked from that.  I had a time trying to sort pieces and remember if I over size cut the triangles so I could trim them later.  I had missed cutting a few needed pieces.  I changed my mind on a couple blocks and cut different fabric.  A challenge.  But I finally worked my way through.  Now to find backing and hopefully from stash.

Enjoy your holiday weekend and take time to sew.
Karen

41 comments:

  1. That's a great sampler Karen!! It is nice sometimes just to piece like a madwoman and get it done! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the notched out corners - I don't have beds for them to be used on either so do not make them even though it would look more antique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Way to sew!! I really like the larger blocks and more useable size too. I cannot pick a favorite block~ they are all wonderful to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many pretty blocks to pin point a fav. It's certainly big will it be on your bed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love so many of the blocks but I think the pineapple is my favorite :)

    Congrats on this huge accomplishment...I am trying to figure out how to piece backing...yup, that's my weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard to pick a favorite but I think it would be the flower block 4 rows down on the left ( or is it 5 rows down! )

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a amazing sampler quilt ! Just gorgeous! It must feel SO good to have this completed :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - this really turned out great! I could never pick a single block - they are all amazing, but I seem to be partial to pineapples lately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I'm not the only "mad-woman" around!!! But mine isn't always about sewing!! LOL Your sampler is just lovely! I always admire your applique blocks (including all those in your last posts!) and I in particular love your sashing and cornerstone fabric choices! I tend toward dark, but yours gives your blocks such a nice patina! Love it!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!! You know that now that's done, you will find the pattern LOL. Congrats on a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a BEAUTY !!! Hey, mad woman I think we are related !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful accomplishment!!! My fave block is the basket one - third row, second over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well worth the time you put into it, it is a beautiful quilt. I spent the day on the machine and having problems all day, but I got it done, even if I did a horrible job, lol. Then I was all set to wash it and remembered I had one bad quilted block that I didn't like, so had to give up and I can rip those stitches out tomorrow. They are at the hospital so any time now, and they do need a quilt still.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful results from your maniacal sewing spurt, Karen! That must have been challenging to figure out what went where and with what, but you made it all work.
    Favorite block would have to be the purple appliqued flower on the second row, left end!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is going to be gorgeous when its done!!! i love it! :)
    my favorite block is probably the one in the top right (the sunflower)...the petals on that are really pretty...but the bird blocks are all great too!
    well done on a job almost finished!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen, your quilt is very pretty. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome quilt lots and lots of work but with the applique beckoning you to carry on it was worth it! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your quilt, it just looks fabulous! Hugs
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is beautiful and the colors you have used are so nice. Your blocks are so pretty, hard to find a favorite ... block 2 in row 3 is a lovelky one !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. T'ha quedat un quilt espectacular. Una molt bona feina.
    Bona setmana !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. speed piecing can be fun. Your top looks great. I love the color placements and border fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karen it's an amazing quilt! What an accomplishment! Clapping! Clapping!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is lovely Karen! I have been collecting fabrics for my own version and you have given me the push to think about getting back to the sewing studio!
    Bravo- you should be very proud of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely gorgeous, Karen! It is hard to pick a favorite block...they are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! What a triumph to finish this after all the trouble! Great job!, I too do quilts with chopped off points now and then...gives it character!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great accomplishment. Speed sewing is a efficient way to get things done. I always like how you personalize your quilts even when you're working from a pattern. I'm partial to the pineapple block.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, Karen, that's a beauty. Lots of fun with those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! It is gorgeous! I love it! I am not a fan of the notched edge either. I like what you did :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Today my favorite is the flower in the upper right but ask again tomorrow - I'm sure my favorite will change! I have this pattern, sitting patiently waiting its turn. I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful quilt. I must say it's hard to pick a favorite block. I really like all three appliqué blocks in the third row. I have a quilt similar to this one on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  31. madre mía!!!!! es maravilloso
    me gusta
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's gorgeous, Karen. What an accomplishment! You should be proud of yourself.

    I'm partial to pineapples and their significance so I'd have to say that the pineapple block is my fave.

    Great job, my friend! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful! I love that pattern so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! I can't believe how fast you finished that. It is gorgeous! Every time I see that finished quilt at Temecula Quilt Co. I want to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a fabulous finish to this stunning quilt! I can't get over how quickly you were able to finish this (while still working on other projects). AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well, I too am in love with your quilt...love, love!! Pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Karen, it is breathtakingly beautiful! Aren't you glad you got those applique blocks where they belong? Congratulations on a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! That is looking fabulous Karen! Sometimes a quilt top just needs some attention until it's done.:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great quilt! Hard to pick a block, but maybe today for me it is the cheddar bird. Could change tomorrow ;-)
    Great border to set it off. Hope you find a good fabric for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is gorgeous, well done on finishing the top. Perhaps I should make something like this and then I won't get sick of doing the same block over and over....

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your sampler quilt is absolutely gorgeous. When I read you increased the block size from 5" to 7.5", I thought, how in the world did you do that? It must have taken you hours to figure out all the math involved.....

    ReplyDelete