QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Walk In the Garden and Indiana Rose

I finished two applique blocks.  Not for the same quilt.  The first is a block called "Walk In the Garden" and is from the Ginger Cookie Company book called "Crossroads".
The fabrics are a little pale looking for my taste.  I am thinking of doing a buttonhole stitch around the applique pieces in floss colors that are a bit darker.  The pattern in the book is for a pillow.  So a single block.  I intended to make four blocks for a wall hanging.  I will have to see if the lighter colors grow on me a bit more.

I did a trial block for another wall hanging.  I used a pattern called "Indiana Rose" from a Kay MacKenzie applique book.  Her book is the block patterns only with a computer CD to print them out in a variety of sizes.
I made a change in the design.  The little rosette shape for the center was not looking good when I stitched it.  The curves were so subtle that it looked more like I had bumps and humps.  I took really small stitches to try to avoid it but it still didn't look good.  So I changed the shape to a circle and it looks much better.  What I wanted to know was, if I traced the design onto the dark background with a chalk pencil, it would last long enough for me to stitch the entire block.  I was careful in handling it and it was a success.  I plan on making nine blocks.  Five with a dark background and four light.  I used fabrics from a layer cake for the project.

Time for me to stitch.  Have a great day.
Karen

20 comments:

  1. I like your change, adding the circle instead, as I have run into that same thing. Beautiful projects Karen, I check your blog every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks, love doing flowers.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that light block has a very summery feel to it--just right for this time of year! I'll be interested to see the effect of darker blanket stitching.
    I love the idea of the second block in a sort of 9-patch setting with alternating light/dark backgrounds. Can't wait to see that, either! Get busy, Karen. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty blocks. Personally I love the look of the first one, those soft colors are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the lighter colors and I suspect they may even pop a little with the darker stitching and whatever border you decide to use.

    Happy Stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. los dos bloques preciosos, no se cual elegir, me gustan por igual
    veré si puedo encontrar los libros
    parecen muy interesantes
    buen fin de semana
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. your blocks are great!!
    what fun fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both pretty blocks but I love that Indiana Rose! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blocks. I loved them so much I just ordered the book for the first one. I have the book for the second one. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two more stunning applique blocks! I like the Indiana Rose...the fabrics are so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice blocks. I like the pale one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both of these blocks- can't wait to see the finished quilt/wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVING that dark background with the pretty red on it. Nice job. I like the subtle one, too.....but the dark one is just so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two beautiful blocks Karen! I lean towards darker fabrics, but it is fun to step out of our comfort zone for a short time and do what we aren't use to doing! Looking forward to seeing how you finish these two off... like the ideas you have for the darker block!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the pale block is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like both blocks and will be interested to see how the lighter one looks with the darker blanket stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uns blogs molt bonics i molt ben fets.
    M'agrada la combinació de les robes i els colors.
    Petons des de Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both blocks are so pretty and I love the dark background on the second block. It is going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete