QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Thursday, August 22, 2013

NEW TOY

I have a new toy.  My husband purchased a Singer Featherweight for me.  I looked up the serial number and find it dates between 1948 to 1950.  It sews well.  The case is in very good condition and has the metal tray which is sometimes missing.

Did I need it?  You be the judge.
I have three.  I have a black one that is from the 1936 era.  I have the white/celery one which dates to 1964.  Evidently 1964 is the end of when the machines were made.  All three machines sew well.  If you come to visit, we will get them out and play.

The oldest machine has the fancier end plate.
The latest purchase has the more simple design end plate.
The white/celery colored machine is a Plain Jane on the end.  It is different from the black machines in that it does not have a detachable connection for the foot control.

No, I do not need three of them but each is different in some way and a delight to have.  I have some other smaller size vintage sewing machines and enjoy having all of them.  The latest addition Featherweight came from an antique shop in the Smokey Mountains.  There were two and it was hard to pick between them.  Both were in good shape.  I chose the one that had the metal tray in the case.  We saw a whole case of Featherweights in another antique shop in the area but they were priced much higher.

I had trouble getting back into the stitching mode after vacation.  I am behind on my block of the month projects.  Just this week, I have settled back into a stitching routine and am making headway.  I will have blocks to share very soon.

Time for me to sit in the chair and stitch.
Karen

33 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new FW and thanks for showing off your whole herd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a happy family of sewing machines - love the white one.
    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how beautiful! They are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you needed it!~ the others needed a family. :-) I love all three. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! You are such a lucky girl!
    Three of those great little machines!
    (And you just have to love a hubby with such great ideas... ;) ....!
    Hope you are in a great sewingmood soon!
    Love from the Netherlands, Ria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all lovely! I would have a hard time deciding which one to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Did you NEED it? Of course you did!! You are indeed a lucky girl. I can't imagine my DH thinking of such a thing. Enjoy your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun, it looks wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Need is kind of a funny word. It looks pretty good sitting with the other machines! Have fun with it, I think it's found a good home.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. felicidades!!!!
    en nuestra tierra decimos
    ¡¡¡ no hay dos sin tres!!!
    así que ya tienes las tres
    aprovecha, y disfruta cosiendo
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  11. If DH was willing to buy it, I'd say sure, you need it!
    I can't even find one within my budget, but if I did, I'm sure DH wouldn't think I needed it! : )
    I love the unique features of each of your machines. Wish I could drop by and play!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is always nice to have an extra just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new baby------everything's better in threes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those nice little babies! Do you display them in your home? I also love the header on your blog again! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your NEW FEATHER WEIGHT ! What a sweet husband you have to buy it for you . My hubby would just say " you don't need it " :-(

    Happy sewing !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all three machines! I have one, but never really use it. Love to display it though! And what a great souvenir from your vacation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of course you needed another FW! Your new one is a gem for sure :)

    I would love to visit (we aren't that far from each other) and play...I've never sewn on a FW before but I see so many of my blog friends have them.

    Welcome home from your trip...hope you get back to stitching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful collection of machines. You newest arrival is a great addition. What a wonderful gift and a sweet hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can never have too many sewing machines.. they are like friends the more the merrier! I'm having a giveaway on my blog tell all your friends! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing wrong with having a collection. I have a vintage 1960s Bernina and it sews like a dream-much better than my fandangled modern Janome. I'd love a Singer featherweight though, something about the option to turn a handle, instead of pressing a foot, really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet toys indeed...would come for a play date! I do not have one yet keep looking for a bargain. DO have a 99 and love it. Adore that header quilt! Just had pulled out my Jan P book, We Gather Together.Want to do a runner for old chest in living room!
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delightful!! These gems are treasures and sew beautifully...Have a great weekend.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Karen! She is a beauty!! I also love the celery coloured one! Lucky you!
    Can't wait to see the blocks that you are working on...
    P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely new toy to add to your collection Karen! I love the quilt in your header too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Of course you need it! Nice husband to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you sew on them? I have one of my mother's a white Singer in a case that needs attention I know--maybe it'll sew a straight even seam for me!! Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bought a Grassopper and 2 Featherweight (one from 1951, and a 222k )...in a week !
    I was looking around for a while and I found them so luky!
    So now do I need the white one? I do think so ;) I 'm on the hunt again :)
    They are so cute and fun to sew on!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do believe your having way too much fun!! But of course you need them. We all need our toy's Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on the addition to your family...all are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Karen, join the club! Here in Holland many people have a singer Featherweight, me also, I love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! You have a great hubby.

    ReplyDelete