QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Finish and Works In Progress

Hurray!  A finish.  I hand quilted a small piece.  It is called "Piece and Plenty" and is from a pattern designed by Cheri Payne.  The only place the quilting really shows is in the darker tan fabric.  The backing is a small print similar to the background on the front of the quilt.  The thread color blends in so well that it does not show. I used elements from a quilt stencil that I have and it gives texture to the piece.   I remember when I first started making quilts, I showed one of my quilts to an older lady that worked at the local quilt shop.  The backing was a print fabric and I had hand quilted it.  She said I wasted my time hand quilting because I had not used a solid background so it would show.  Well, I do like to see fancy quilting but I also like print backings.  So her disapproval did not change my mind.  I left the one quirky triangle in the border just because it was quirky.  So not perfect but that's the way it is.

I am down to eleven blocks left to applique for the Sally Post quilt I am making.  I decided to prep all the blocks  so I can just grab one and stitch and get them done.  I pulled the block storage notebook out that I made last year.  It has zipper pouches to store each block and its parts in.  This is what it looks like.
Much to my delight, look what I found when I opened it.
The Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler Quilt pattern I have been looking for.  You can see the quilt here.  I had all the applique blocks done.  When I prepped the applique block parts, I also cut out the pieced blocks.  I took the notebook on a trip but left the pieced block parts at home.  So they were never in the book.  But when I got ready to sew the pieced blocks, I could not find the pattern.  I searched and searched.  I finally printed out a picture of the quilt pattern cover from Lori Smith's website and worked from that picture to piece the blocks.  It has been months and the pattern remained lost.  Well, this is why.  During a clean up in the sewing room, I put the notebook up on top of the book case.  Never opened it up as I had no applique blocks stored in it.  I should have looked to see if anything else was in the notebook.  I don't need the pattern now but at least its whereabouts are known.  Mystery solved.

I will share two works in progress with you.  The tops are completed and await quilting.  The first one is "A Good Night".  Another Cheri Payne pattern.  It is wool applique on cotton.  It will make a good prim addition to my holiday decorations.
The second is also a Cheri pattern.  "Embrace Each Day" is what it is called.  This one is also done with wool applique on cotton.  The log cabin blocks were made with scrap pieces that I won in a give away that Cheri did.  So appropriate to use them for one of her patterns.

I hope you enjoyed the photos of my projects.
Karen

31 comments:

  1. I did more than just enjoyed...LOVED your projects!! Good for you!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your projects are so inspiring. I love the Santa quilt by Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects--wonderful finishes...julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sleeping? Lol
    Lots of fantastic quilts you shared. Seriously envious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!! Love your projects :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little finished piece. Isn't it satisfying to hand quilt something like that?
    That is funny about the elusive pattern. And you finished it anyway from a picture--good for you!
    I LOVE that Santa piece! Just delightful!
    And the log cabin quilt is very sweet. Wish I could read the words on both of them. The photos don't enlarge. : (

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful finish and great photos! always fun to see what you're creating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfection! All of your projects are amazing Karen. Love them all but especially the wool santas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love all the projects you have made, lots of nice patterns and beautiful work.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your log cabin quilt. I especially like the applique on top of the logs. It adds an extra special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always so nice seeing your finishes and progresses in your work. Thank you for reminding me about I've finished a top of "A Good Night" a while ago, but haven't quilted yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did enjoy your projects! That last little quilt is very sweet. People and their opinions!! I always put prints on the back of my hand quilted quilts - I like prints better than solids and I've never thought I was wasting my time - I love to quilt by hand. So fun to solve a mystery :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I do so love your piece and plenty project! So sweet. I like to use print backing too even though I hand quilt! It's what feels good to me so why bother changing.:) Your little log cabin with the applique is just perfect. May have to try that one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my...I gasped when I read that someone (a quilter?!?!) said that hand quilting was a "waste of time" because of the fabric choice. Oh my, my, my....I have to sit down to recuperate!! LOL
    Your pattern book is such a great idea to keep everything organized.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love these quilts especially that last one~!

    glad that you could put your mind at ease in regards to your missing pattern . . . things like that drive me crazy.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I didn't respect the Quilting Law for 20 years.... never used a solid background in my life and I handquilt everything.... And sometimes I even hand piece.... and no guilt about it, L0L
    Love Cheri Payne the logcabin is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE all your projects! That Santa quilt is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such a busy woman; and so creative! Love all your quilts. I agree with your decision to do what you like on your quilts...referring to backing! :) Glad you found your missing pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved all these projects! Busy bee you are! That is so something I would do with a pattern. Be right under my nose!
    You inspire me with all you do!
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your quirky triangle.

    Glad you found the missing pattern....even though it was a kittle late.

    Love the Santa quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all of your projects Karen, but esp. the wooly Santas!! How cute!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the little Cheri Payne quilts. She's the queen of not quite perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun projects! I love the way you think...not quite perfect gives things character.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous work on the Cheri Payne designs! Love the Santa piece!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love to see all your projects, Karen. Good for you in following your heart and choosing the backing you love. I always enjoy visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Embrace the day is a very cute pattern. Wonderful projects and to find that pattern safely tucked away is all too familiar :0) I like the quirky corner and the bird too. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Al your projects are wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always enjoy seeing what you are working on! ALL of these projects are wonderful ! The Santa quilt is ADORABLE !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome job on the finish!! You are cruising right along and getting a lot accomplished.
    I'm thrilled you found your pattern. That's always fun to find something you know you should be able to get your hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it when the lost is found. :) And I love your quirky block! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  31. I did enjoy seeing your projects. I always do because you do so many different fun things.
    Love that Santa project.
    So glad you solved the mystery of your pattern. I have done that before too.

    ReplyDelete