QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Sunday, September 1, 2013

BIRDSONG HOT OFF THE SEWING MACHINE

My "Birdsong" quilt top is hot off the sewing machine.  I just finished sewing the last borders on.  DH is holding it up for a picture and he doesn't have wide enough arms so this is the best picture I could get.
The pattern is by Jan Patek and I used Liberty Garden fabrics which are what are shown in the pattern.  I started this quilt a good while back.  A good friend had started making one of these.  She did a couple of the star sections and her busy schedule got in the way.  She finally decided she was not going to finish the quilt.  So the finished blocks and the rest of the fabric came to me.  I added Liberty Garden fabrics from my stash.  I did a row and set it aside.  A number of months later, I did another row or two and set the project aside.  It has sat in a basket beside the chair I do applique in for months and months.  A couple weeks ago, I decided to clean up in that area and put things away.  The quilt parts came out again and I decided it was time to just get busy and finish.  The applique was not at all hard.  I am pleased with the end result.  Now I have to make backing and think about the quilting.

The background for the quilt rows is Moda twill fabrics.  Different to work with.  When I think of twill, I think of a heavier, coarse fabric similar to denim but the Moda twill is not like that.  It has a soft hand but does ravel easily.  I used my serger to stitch around the backgrounds to prevent that.

I am a happy camper!
Karen

42 comments:

  1. Fantastic finish. The Moda twills are fun to work with and add to the prim look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charming and lovely work! Love the birds and fabric choices.
    Isn't it interesting how different the fabrics can be. I sewed with some Robyn Pandolph florals that raveled like crazy but then another of hers...polka dots, was so wonderful to sew with.
    Good work finishing up a forgotten project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish and I am sure you feel like I do when something that has been hanging around is done. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful flimsy Karen! Love the twill background. I have a few fat quarters of Moda twills that I've never done anything with. After seeing your project I think I'll be moving those twills to a more noticeable spot, and find a simple applique pattern that suits them! Isn't it a great sense of accomplishment to finish a long ago started project??? Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Karen! What a amazing quilt ! Congrats on a great finish !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great finish! I love everything with birds on it. I have some Minick and Simpson Twills by Moda. . . You've given me food for thought on how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I LOVE this one!! I bet your friend is kicking herself now!! Good for you for sticking with it!! Magnificent!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! What a good idea to serge the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a gorgeous quilt, always loved that one and you used the perfect fabrics.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous quilt!! I love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. me gusta!! es muy, muy guapo
    esas filas de aplique, me fascinan
    buena semana
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that is gorgeous, I'll have to look for that pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally found a time to visit your place after such a long time! Love your beautiful finish and hint of fall all over in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! I love the look of the twill - it's just a great quilt. Isn't it nice to have it finished?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh. my. goodness this quilt is GORgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should be a happy camper. This is such a great looking top.
    That background fabric has such a nice look and gives great continuity to the quilt. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic finish Karen! will have to look out for this pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray! congrats. I love the black birds agains the soft pallet wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un treball molt bonic. M'agrada la combinació dels colors i les teles.
    Petons

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Glad you finishes it up so now you (and us) can enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. great finish.
    That looks like a really big quilt!
    Always nice when you still love a project that's been on the back burner a while.
    Very nice fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yea! Love the birds, the pieced sashing and the colors. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Karen! It's lovely. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would be a very happy camper too~ it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You should be a happy camper. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So soft and lovely! Very nice :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it....such a beautiful quilt! Blessings, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can see why you are a happy camper indeed! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's beautiful! I love your background. I do that often on applique. Congrats on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on the finish! I like that a lot and the striped fabric is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous Karen, I love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I love this quilt! Did one as well. I then sent my pattern book to a friend and she is finishing hers up right now!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,
    Love your use of the twill in this quilt. In fact, just love this whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Karen it is just wonderful! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your Jan Patek quilt is wonderful. Her designs are super.

    ReplyDelete