QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

UFO UPDATE AND A NEW SMALL QUILT

I have had the applique pieces cut out for "Frost On the Fern" for a long, long time.  The urge to work on it finally came.  I have the central block done and it is a large one.
Now I need to decide what to do about adding a yellowish rickrack between the block and the border.  That is the way the pattern is done.  The local quilt shop has large, soft colored yellow rickrack by the yard but it still would need to be tan dyed over that.  I don't have good luck getting the rickrack to end the way it should at the corners and that is why I hesitate.  I am thinking of using a narrow piece of one of the yellow fabrics folded in half instead.  The border applique is going to take a while as there is a lot of it.  The pattern I am using is by Blackbird Designs and from the book "When the Cold Wind Blows".  I am not in a hurry to finish this.

Next, I have wanted to do the basket quilt by Cheri that is in the Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine.  The Spring 2012 issue.  The pattern is called "Baskets and Petals".  The top went together fairly quickly but still needs quilting.  The pattern measurements say 27 inches by 36 but I did not measure my final piece.  I did the baskets using needle turn applique instead of piecing the main body of the basket and then doing an applique handle.  I am happy with it.
Busy, busy here.  Have a great evening.  I am heading back to the sewing room.
Karen

22 comments:

  1. More great applique from you Karen!
    It will be interesting to see what you add to the big block...

    Cute baskets too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful projects, I'm going to enjoy following Frost on the Ferns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful--I have "When the Cold Wind Blows"--just for drooling purposes (LOL) you know I am applique challenged!! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would skip the rick rack, too. Too fussy to get it to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do the basket piece too and I wanted to do it in appliqué, yours came out beautifully.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your basket quilt! If you ever decide what makes you finally start back into a project, please let us know. I've always wondered about the last little urge that gets us moving.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. siempre me sorprendes !!!
    maravillosos trabajos
    ¡¡¡¡pena estar tan lejos para aprender costura contigo!!!!
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always - just wonderful applique projects!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them both! The rickrack would be a challenge for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More great projects. Always fun to do something quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frost on the Fern is beautiful!, this is definitely on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frost on the Fern is one of my favorite projects in When the Cold Wind Blows can't wait to see when you post further progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the beginning of your center! I do not do rick rack in one long piece. I sew it on like borders, 4 pieces. That way I can control how the corners look. Mind you most of the time I am doing this on cross stitch finishes I do for others.
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  14. 2 Wonderful projects Karen ! I do not think I would attempt rick rack :-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. You amaze me Karen with all that you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a fantastic job on Cheri's basket design. So cute!
    I have the book for the floral block- you are ambitious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what about a narrow piece of the beautiful blue of the bird as a border?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just adore the baskets. And yeah - that blue would make a gorgeous narrow border.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both projects look awesome. I've been wanting to do that little basket quilt…but it is working its way up to the top slowly.
    TFS. I enjoy seeing your work.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used rickrack on a couple of quilts and they curled up when the quilt was washed. I'd go for the flange or crumb catcher -- not sure what you call it -- to add the pop of color you want. Your block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Frost on the Fern block is beautiful. Will this be a small quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that is a lot of work - really beautiful! I love the soft colors. I think a narrow piece of yellow fabric would be fine. I have trouble with ending rick-rack too. I like to bury it in seams, lol. I really love your little baskets!!

    ReplyDelete