QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Friday, November 15, 2013

NOT MUCH TO REPORT

Not that I have been lazy, but there isn't much to show you sewing wise.  Too much secret sewing.  I have all of my items made for Christmas trades but not mailed off so too soon to post pictures.  I started an combination embroidery/wool project but there isn't enough done to bother taking a picture of.  Mostly I have been in the sewing room prepping parts for "My Country Season" which is a pattern by Cheri.  It didn't look like so much prep work would be needed when I started but it is taking a lot of time and thought.  Here is a picture of the book.
I have most of the applique parts ready to stitch but it is going to take a good amount of time to accomplish.  I am using wool and cottons.  Here is the pile thus far though it doesn't look like much in the picture.
Stay tuned for progress.  Anyone interested in the book, it was put out by Indygo Junction.  I found it listed here.

I have been doing some reading.  I was not sure I would like the ones I selected but since AQS published them, I thought they couldn't be too bad.  I ordered the first two and liked them well enough to order the third.  It is a continuing story.  These are pictures borrowed from Amazon.  The author is Ann Hazelwood.

 The books are light reading.  Mystery style though not a murder mystery.  More of a ghostly mystery story.  I keep thinking that an explanation of the human kind will come out that explains what the characters think of as ghostly happenings.  The author has three phrases that she tends to over use.  "333 Lincoln Street" is one.  How often do you refer to your home by the street name and number?  The author does it over and over.  The second is "a Kodak moment".  The third is ".....mmmmm".  And it is a little too convenient that the main character has fallen in love and married a man who seems to have an endless budget when it comes to fixing up an old house, having someone come in to clean, yard help, etc.  And he cooks too.  You can tell by the titles that each book revolves around a quilt.  I am looking forward to the next book as each book leaves you hanging in the end.  Is anyone else reading these books?

























I added a glass basket to my collection.  This is the latest one. Made by Smith Glass.  I prefer Fenton but this one was pretty and reasonable in an antique shop we visited on our recent vacation.
I am going to sit down and enjoy doing some applique stitching this evening.  Enjoy your sewing time too.

Karen

23 comments:

  1. When your quiet I know your busy. Look forward to seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pattern and can't wait to see how yours comes out. People don't realized that the prep work is really time consuming, sometimes I just do one bit at a time if there are a lot of pieces.

    You collect fenton glass baskets? I have a bit of fenton red glass, but stopped collecting, I have no room. I do have a light cranberry, hobnail basket with a clear handle. His dad gave it to me and It was passed down to him.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new project! How do you decide on what pieces to use wool and what pieces to use cotton?

    I haven't read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new project, the pile always looks smaller than the time spent prepping.
    Your glass basket is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual your projects will inspire many. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fantastic project. The prep time is always underestimated, but once you getting going it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great new project, Karen! You always come up with good ones! Yes, the prep work seems to grow as you work. I am doing a little wool applique right now and it took twice as long to prep as I expected. If you are doing needle-turned, too, I can only imagine it is even more so.
    I've never heard of these books.
    What a pretty glass piece. I didn't know you were a collector. Have you ever shown your collection?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new project looks fabulous!! Wouldn't it be fun if the fairies came at night and popped all our appliqué? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sweet projects but I truly live the my country seasons..it's so pretty.
    Sending you hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen! It's been a while since I've caught your blog , Glad to see your post this morning. While working my shift at AQS show in Des Moines, one of my duties was to be hostess to the author of those books. She used to own the button and quilt shop in St. Charles, MO and was so interesting. They are on my list to read if I can ever find the time. Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to live near St Charles Mo and didn't realize she was an author. I am going to have give her a read. I love seasonal quilts, this one is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another wonderful project in the works, I see!! Will love seeing the progress photos!

    The glass basket is lovely!! Have you posted photos of your others? Would love to see them!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's going to be so fun watching your Country Seasons grow...it's such a wonderful quilt! Love your glass basket. I've not heard of those books, better add them to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look forward to watching your progress on yet another awesome folk art applique quilt! Busy sewing is good and something I will be this week also...or hoping! Will see if I can locate the books locally. Just went to library yesterday picked up some cd books. Keep me company in sewing room.
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another of Cheri's many patterns that I own that is waiting for 'someday'. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing all those pieces prepped for your new quilt reminds me how much time it does take to prep pieces for applique - lots. Cute green basket.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great start on the new project! What's better than country seasons...or country anything :-)
    I started pulling fabrics for my snowman and ran out of time so I put it away and will try again after Christmas presents and baby quilts, etc get done.
    The books look like fun reads. My mom would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. am in the process of repainting my sewing room and just hung this one up on the clean, freshly painted wall.....enjoy your applique time

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read these books but saw them yesterday at the quilt store... they looked like a good Santa gift!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy the prep work for applique.
    lovely antique basket

    ReplyDelete
  21. Country Seasons looks like an amazing project...I'm sure your will be!

    I haven't heard of those books but could use some light reading...maybe I'll give one a try. Thanks for the recommmendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just finish "the last run away" I'm going to check out your books.....
    Enjoy your applique time, I'm waiting for next week to order some pattern from the States :D

    ReplyDelete