QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Catch Up Time

I have spent some time trying to catch up on projects in the works and some new ones (I can't resist).  One of the new projects is a series of twelve smaller size wall quilts.  One for each month of the year.  The designs are by Sarah Sporer and were published by Indygo Junction.  I have had the patterns for quite a while.  Here is January's quilt called "New Mittens".
One of the reasons I put off making these wall quilts is that Sarah's technique is very primitive applique.  No turned under seam allowance or fusing and stitching the edges.  Just a larger hand stitch about 1/4" inside the edge of the pieces.  I really prefer turned under edges as the unfinished edges fray a bit.  But that adds to the primitive look.  I finally decided to just go with her method as they will probably won't see the inside of a washer for a long, long time.  I plan on displaying each quilt during the month it is meant for.  I did very simple machine quilting.

Next up is February's quilt called "Crow In Snow".  I don't use much purple in quilts but I do like the plum shade I used for the background on this one.

I forgot to share a Christmas ornament that I made last month.  A Nativity scene.  The design does not show the edges as being finished leaving batting showing so that is the way I did it.  The picture is taken on my design wall.

Next up is a wool mat or wall hanging called "Crystal".  The pattern is by Liberty Rose.  It came from Daisy Cottage Quilting.  Sharon lists one more in her sale bin ($3.00).  The gray wool background works well and was a gift from a friend.  One thing you might notice if you like Linda Brannock patterns, the lady is her design.  The designer used variations of the lady with Linda's permission and did several designs.  I have another one close to being done.

I participated in a Christmas Swap and want to share with you what I received.

A snowman mat, an embroidered dish towel (such tiny stitches on both projects), Best Press (which I have never tried), a fat quarter of a prim style fabric, edibles, and lastly a wonderful handmade wood Christmas ornament made by Carole's husband. The snowman mat will be out for display throughout the winter.   Carole and I had each other's names, a chance of the draw.  I was so very pleased with the swap. Especially the hand-made items.  You can see here what I made.

I am ready to stitch the binding on another small quilt so I will have something to share with you again soon.  Enjoy you Sunday and take time to sew for a little while if you can.
Karen



13 comments:

  1. That is such a fun pattern and I like the idea of making one for each month. For wall pieces I am not so picky, but it depends on the design size and materials I use. You have been busy, lots of wonderful pieces.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice eye candy for all of your viewers! I like the primitive look, as well as the traditional needle turned applique. Love the nativity ornament! Who's pattern? Great swap gifts... lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you are doing with the monthly quilts instead of one larger quilt. Lots of eye candy today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, it's you. You sneak! lol I never knew that blog was you! Love your work! I am about to schedule a post of the wonderful things you sent me. I just love them. You spoiled me! Thank you for being my partner! BTW, a pattern will be on its way. I don't know where my head has been! Oh, Happy New Year! Wishing you and your loved ones the best 2014 has to offer! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have really been busy Karen. All very nice pieces. I love the small quilts and your ornament is so adorable. Cutest Nativity I've seen all season.

    We are away right now but I have two quilts to bind when I get home. I did bring some knitting with me on the trip so I hope to start something soon.

    Hope to catch up with you in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The small quilts will be a great project to work on each month. You've had a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sarah Sporrer's designs. I have plan so make those same blocks ... Someday 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those small quilts. The mitten one is just adorable!
    Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little monthly quilts are so sweet. I can understand the hesitance about the primitive method--but it looks so good, doesn't it? And I LOVE that plum color!
    I admit that your nativity ornament stole the show for me. The button is such a fun touch. Was it a kit, or were the fabrics your choice? They are perfect!
    Amazing swap! I Love it all, but I have this thing about hand crafted wooden items of all sorts, so the ornament really caught my attention.
    In looking at what you sent Carole, I'd say you two really did it up right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uns treballs molt bonics i ben fets, com sempre.
    Feliç 2014 !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have done the primitive applique before years ago for a wall hanging. It holds up fine on the wall because there isn't any friction to make it fray more. Love all your little projects. Fun way to spend the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A small quilt a month will make a great display. Very nice projects, I just love all of your work, you have so many successful finishes!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very nice projects! I also am not a fan of leaving the edges to fray. I had a pattern that I did for a large quilt with all different flowers like that and it about killed me to do it!

    ReplyDelete