QUILT INFO

I used a Buttermilk Basin for the spring wool mat.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

HOPE

Today I can share with you a small wall quilt I made for a good friend and fellow member of the Sew 'n Sews.  Names were drawn for a holiday exchange and I got my friend Rosy's name.  We were to make something small and it was to have at least one word on it.  I was not there during the planning stages of the exchange.  I am assuming it did not have to be a quilt but something handmade.  Rosy's style is not prim like mine.  But she does like to do wool applique.  I decided that was a good way to go.  I studied my patterns and came up with a quilt block suitable for wool that was a pot of flowers.  Deciding on a word or words was the hard part.  I wanted a quote that had something to do with flowers.  Some too long and some not really appropriate.  I kept coming back to a quote by Lady Byrd Johnson.  "Where flowers bloom so does hope".  But a lot of words to fit on a smaller size piece of fabric.  I finally decided I would put the word "hope" on the front of the quilt and make a label for the back with the quote on it.  I am not good at drawing lettering but solved that problem by doing image searches on Google.  I found the set of letters there that I used for the word "hope".  The lettering for the embroidery on the back came from a free font I downloaded and enlarged.  Here is what I came up with.

The black background for the front of the quilt is flannel and the same used for binding.  The applique shapes cut from wool.  A cotton backing.  The quote is hand embroidered.  I hope she likes what I created.  I added black tabs so that it could be hung on a rod or folded to the back if she wants to drape it on the sofa back or use for a table mat.

We have had company for a week.  Working on jigsaw puzzles, shopping, eating out, and playing dominoes.  I plan on sewing a bit today as SIL will be leaving.  I hope you find time to relax and stitch too.

Karen

34 comments:

  1. Rosy will love it! Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROSY is going to flip!! PERFECT!! And love the quote!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she will love that. I know that I would, lol. beautiful and creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done Karen. I sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely piece...she must love it! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, Karen and your wall hanging is lovely, Rosy will be thrilled.

    Hug's, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. She better love it! You put a lot of thought in to it. Those are the best gifts. Which is why I love the one you sent me two years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet expression of a beautiful quote. Love the fonts you found. Your friend will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quote is perfect for the beautiful wool applique, Karen. I know Rosy is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Karen.... That is gorgeous! What a very thoughtful gift .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet she loved it!
    Enjoy your company/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! I am sure she will love it :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful piece and a nice one for a swap. I got all the house things done, now i am too tired to move, lol. I am in the mood to make something, so will find something fun to make for the weekend.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you put a special little something on the label. I do that myself ~ just seems like a little extra that makes any quilt that much more endearing.
    Smiles,
    JoeyLea

    ReplyDelete
  15. es muy guapo !!!
    seguro que aciertas con lo que este trabajo
    buen domingo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did great! So cute! I have been doing way to much splurging eating things I shouldn't. Time to get back on schedule and behave, but it so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great little quilt you and did a beautiful job. Your fried is very lucky to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lucky friend. You've made a lovely vase of flowersand she's going to love it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Es un treball molt bonic.

    Bona setmana per tu i els teus.

    Petons !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. a beautiful gift and sentiment....enjoy your down time with family, that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, Karen.

    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is beautiful and the word "hope" is a good one. Have fun with your company and enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quilt! I love all of your thought behind the design as it makes it that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty! Always love seeing your creations.:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,
    This is a wonderful little piece. Your friend will be thrilled. It is a very thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful gift!
    Enjoy your company!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a lucky friend! Your little quilt is lovely and i"m sure she'll treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfect choice, I'm sure Rosy will enjoy and appreciate your wonderful creation.

    Hope you and your company enjoyed your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. THat is very nice!
    I like doing hand applique but I'm never happy with mine. Do you have any tips for me?

    ReplyDelete