QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Grandma's House

My first finish for 2014.  The quilt is made from a Cheri pattern called "Grandma's House".  Wool on cotton applique and machine quilted.
I have had this pattern in my Cheri stash for a good long while.  I recently saw a picture on the internet of one that someone else made.  Seeing it reminded me that I had intended on making the quilt last fall.  And that didn't happen.  So not long before Christmas, I started on this.  The background was easy to piece.  The wool fun to play with making my choices for coats, hats, trees, the horse, and a house.  The applique went fast.  On Christmas day, I worked on the wording.  Even before I added the words, my DH was sing the song so I think it must be a good representation for him to have guessed what the quilt theme is.  This is another one of those quilts that I have decided is early for the holiday season instead of late.

We had a discussion about how the song to us represents Thanksgiving but you hear it all through the Christmas season.  I have never ridden in a sleigh but my husband has.  His father had one that he pulled with a tractor.

The pattern is on Cheri's website under the "winter" section.

I am on a roll.  Back to my stitching.
Karen

19 comments:

  1. Karen I do believe it is still on the website....you are going to be very prepared for this year's holidays! just asked my hubby and he agrees it is a Thanksgiving song......hmmmm never knew that, must be the "dashing through the snow" makes it sound Christmasy!
    well either way it is a fun holiday quilt, enjoy mine every year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is a UFO of mine! I have made lots of other Cheri quilts and for some reason I never finished this one! I am going to add it to my UFO challenge for 2014. Thank you for reminding me to get it it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet Karen. Congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piece came out beautifully, really nice design and layout, she does have a gift for prim designs that are fun to make. I am not sure if I have ever seen her designs in our local store and the last few times I went to the quilted crow, they were taking things off the shelves for a show, so not as much stock.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great finish, Karen! Everything you are doing lately is making me want to start another wool project.
    I have ridden in a horse drawn sleigh--several times. It is fun, but usually very cold if it is snowy enough to use an actual sleigh on runners and not just a wagon with wheels.
    I agree that it is a Thanksgiving song. I have a collection, of sorts, of vintage song books, and this song is always in the "Thanksgiving" section of the books of children's songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this Karen! Congrats Ono a finish already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Just look fantastic and yes it is an early one! Best wishes,
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are on a roll! I'm going with you're early for the 2014 holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just too sweet! You truly are on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you are starting the year out right! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are on a ROLL ! Good for you ! It must feel so good to get some of these projects done and this one is just adorable ! Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun quilt. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny that I just got that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing your finishes. Have a beautiful week-end. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very cute wool and cotton finish, Karen. Keep on rollin"... it's fun to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Un treball molt bonic i molt hivernal.
    Petons !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great way to start the new year. have a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, love it!!!! Seriously cute!!!!!

    It's your birthday weekend!!!! What do you have planned?

    ReplyDelete