QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Friday, January 3, 2014

Noah and Matilda Album Quilt

I made my first block for the Noah and Matilda Album Quilt.  My block has a prim look with my fabric choices and this time I have done fusible applique with a machine buttonhole stitch.  My fabrics are all from stash.  I love the red and green blocks in the original quilt but have plans for two other quilts done in red and green.  I look forward to seeing others making the quilt blocks and what fabrics they select.

Dawn of Collector With A Needle blog has the original 1851 quilt in her collection.  I have borrowed the picture of the antique quilt from Dawn's blog so you can see what it looks like and the variety of block designs.  
She is making the block designs available for download four at a time on a monthly basis.  The price is very reasonable at $5.00 a set.  Part way through the 12 month pattern release period, she will provide border patterns.  What I like about the set up for purchasing is that you are not committed to all twelve months of patterns.  I only purchase the sets I want and they will be available for a long time.  I would think a person would want all but you have the option of less.  And by being able to split the cost up over a period of time, no big outlay in one payment. As soon as my PayPal payment went through, the blocks were available to download and print out.  So no waiting on the mailman.

Dawn is very interested in the history of quilts and their makers.  She is researching the signatures and dates on the quilt.  I look forward to learning more about the maker's of this quilt.   

A busy day sewing for me so I am heading back to the machine.  
Karen

17 comments:

  1. I was going to order my copy, now I am going to go and do that right away. A fantastic start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful antique quilt. Can't wait to see how yours develops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking block, Karen. Love the KT fabrics, and that plaid is wonderful in there.

    Dawn finds the loveliest quilts, doesn't she? This is another applique beauty that I will enjoy watching people make! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you did yours, looks nice with the machine button hole. I have done that with small pieces and want to practice more, so plan on making smaller ones first. Do you find it takes long to do machine buttonhole?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt will be great in those prim fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping to find a new project or two to start 2014 with enthusiasm, and you've directed me to my first. I love your choice of fabrics, and I've just ordered and downloaded Dawn's first month patterns.
    I'm excited! Thanks for the push off the cliff, Karen. I'm ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! That is going to be so gorgeous. I am looking forward to watching your work. And I love the Over the River quilt from your last post. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your version, Karen!

    I've printed out the first set of patterns. Now to choose fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool to see your fabric choices!
    You made quick work of this block too. I think it's great to use your stash and ''make it your own'

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is going to be interesting seeing this traditional quilt done prim!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great start for the New Year. I look forward to seeing how this turns out, enjoy our deep freeze weather and chat soon. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful quilt! And this block is so unique... looks like all the blocks will be. I have never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this on Dawns blog but haven’t ordered it yet. I have so may new ones started but I do love Dawns patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen,
    I think the link to Dawn’s blog might be incorrect it keeps taking me to blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful! Such a lovely pattern - I am very tempted to take this one up but have just started another large applique block of the month...
    Will enjoy following your progress.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful! Such a lovely pattern - I am very tempted to take this one up but have just started another large applique block of the month...
    Will enjoy following your progress.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete