QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Catch Up Time

I have been busy preparing for company.  A major clean up in my sewing room with the help of my DH.  And he did most of the cleaning in the rest of the house.

I have had time to work on some projects and I will show you some now.  On the design wall are parts of a Jan Patek design called "Town and Country".  I had been doing this as a block of the month last year but got part way through the year anm  decided to wait on all the kits to arrive.  Not much new added to it except the birdhouse, a shoe fly block and a plain block.  I have a section which has the words "Town and Country" on it that I am working on.  I want to get the filler parts done around the barn and house section that you see in the middle before I go further with the outer blocks.

I have the "Donder and Blitzen" wall hanging flimsy done.  Another Jan Patek design.  I did an image search on this design and found that Jan had sold kits with different lines of fabric used over a period of time.  I really liked it in one of the fabric lines and was tempted to order some for creating this wall hanging.  Then I decided that I really, really needed to use stash and that is what I did.  And I am happy with the result.

I am working on basket blocks for a quilt.  The baskets were to be pieced except for the applique handle.  They are wonky style baskets and would have required templates and there are four different designs (three shown here).  I decided to use a square of background fabric and do the baskets all in applique.  I have 12 more baskets to stitch and then strips that go between and have applique on them.

I had an e-mail in January from a lady in Spain who also likes prim style quilts.  Her name is Chelos.  She said that prim style is not popular in Spain and that she has difficulty finding fabrics and patterns that suit the style she likes.  And in finding people that also enjoy the style.  After a couple e-mails, she suggested that we create a smaller size quilt and trade.  I forgot to take a picture of the wall quilt I made her but hopefully she will be sending me one that I can share with you.  I used a Jan Patek basket pattern.  A packaged arrived last week from Chelos.  Here is the piece she made for me.  A very nice table runner.
She also included some fabrics, a little kimono piece in Oriental fabric, and a tiny purse pin which is so cute.  The pin has a tiny key and spoon of thread hanging from the purse handles.
With this trade, I have made a new friend in another part of the world.

I have another quilt top done but will share that with you in a few days.  Stay tuned.
Karen

20 comments:

  1. Wow! You have a clean house, all kinds of fantastic sewing done, and a new friend with a common interest. It sounds like it's been a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I want to find Town and Country too! I have seen it on a couple of blogs lately and just love that pattern. Where did you get your BOM from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your projects are coming along beautifully. What a wonderful quilt and fabrics, fun to swap with friends and make new ones from around the world.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I had the same idea than you : cleaning and putting order... but for me without the help of my husband! Bravo for your lovely prim creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been on such a roll lately, and now you tell us that on top of it all you have a clean house? Wow!! : )
    Don't know that I have ever seen the reindeer quilt in any other fabrics, so I have nothing with which to compare, but I LOVE it! I think it is perfect in the fabrics you used.
    Trust you to turn a pieced project into applique--while I would do just the opposite! *LOL*
    What a delightful swap! I hope she will send you a photo of what you made so that we can get a peek at that creation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you've been working on and your swap sounds great. You had some great goodies xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby that cleans house.... Outstanding. Love the block progress. Shoo fly blocks are one of my favorites...Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to exchange with a quilter in another country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hubby is so sweet! I love the kit on Jan's blog but do agree we need to use up stash. Yours is perfect! Enjoy your company...how was the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're quilting progress looks fabulous! Jan Patek designs such great pieces! Chelos sent you some really nice treasures! It's always fun to learn about other cultures...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always fun to have a new quilting friend :-D Great progress on your quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen que trabajo tan precioso, te quedara espectacular.
    Felicidades por esos regalos recibidos de tu amiga Chelos.
    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your projects. We have such similar tastes. It is so nice to make new friends. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun swap.
    Love your projects. I'm partial to the reindeer.
    Enjoy your company!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice hubby to help with the housework!
    I just don't think you can go wrong with a Jan Patek pattern... I love the reindeers!
    Isn't it fun to "meet" fellow quilters from all areas of the world?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Moltes labors començades i totes molt boniques.
    Quedo a la espera del nou treball que faràs amb companyia des de l'altre part del mon.
    Molt bon cap de setmana !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's the great thing about quilting. We can all bond through fabric and lovely stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun trade Karen! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is fun to make new friends all over the world. very sweet table runner.
    I love the little garden with the bunny in your top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blogging sure makes our world a little smaller. What a sweet exchange.
    Love your T&C quilt and the reindeer!

    ReplyDelete