QUILT INFO

I used a Buttermilk Basin for the spring wool mat.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Simply Red Done In Blue

Karen from Moose Bay Muses blog is teaching a class using Kathy Schmitz's quilt pattern called "Simply Red".  When I saw her blog post about it, I told her that I had the book but had not done anything with it.  She encouraged me to participate from afar and I have taken her up on it.  I decided that I needed to use fabric from stash for the quilt.  Mine will have to be "Simply Blue" as that is the color of my fabric.  Here are the first two blocks.
The patterns in the book are done in reverse for fusible applique and that is the method I have used.  It takes a while to stitch around the applique shapes by machine but is quicker than hand applique.  The touches of embroidery are done by hand.  I have the rest of the blocks fused and ready for stitching.  You can click on "Simply Red" above and it should take you to a picture of the book cover.

Enjoy your day!
Karen

17 comments:

  1. What a great look doing this in blue! Love the birdie block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of using blue! Love it! I agree with Barb, love the birdie block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dark blue color gives the blocks a bit of mystery. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yummy! Red or blue...a two color quilt is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that in blue, really nice idea to change the colors to something new and different to fit our likes. I always have to remind myself to reverse with fusible, once I cut the same thing out three times, all backwards, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this book and the fabric when it first came out and have done nothing with it. The pieces are so small and I didn’t realize it was all done by machine.
    Some of the pictures on the Moose Bay blog look like they might be done in wool.
    I like your blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 really neat blocks. Love blue quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty, I love the blue too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pues es una tecnica preciosa, y que los bloques muy bonitos.
    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! For some reason when I saw this book...I didn't "get" how the designs were done. It is tempting me now that I see these blocks. Beautiful shade of blue...I think I prefer that to the red even.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! Can't wait to see more. Just perfect in your blue.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be gorgeous. Love the touches of embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I admit publicly to preferring blue and white quilts over red and white? Are the quilt police on their way?
    These blocks are so rich looking and kind of somber. I love them. Upon enlarging, I could see the stitching detail. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great, Karen! I'm liking the blue a lot! Kind of reminds me of the painted designs on a crock (which I love)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Striking! And so different seeing applique in 2 colors only.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful in blue. Took a peek at the book, gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love Kathy's designs. great looking blocks.

    ReplyDelete