QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tiptoe Through the Tulips Update

At last, I am back working on "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".  When I last posted a picture, I had thought the large center applique work was done.  But I had forgotten to add the red birds on the green leafy stems.  I don't know if they are supposed to be bird flowers or what.  Once I realized that I needed to add those applique shapes, I saw that the first round surrounding the medallion center was the dreaded diamonds.  They don't always turn out well for me.  I thought about the diamonds while I did the applique.  I decided I did not need to actually work with a diamond shape to create them.  Rectangles with connector corners would create the same look.  And that is what I did.

The connector corner method does waste fabric for me but I think someone would love to have the parts I cut off to trim up and make into a small quilt.

I am using reproduction fabrics from stash to make this quilt.  The next round has a lot of applique to do on it.  I plan on cutting the background strips this afternoon so I can start on it soon.

Have a good day and enjoy some sewing time.
Karen

26 comments:

  1. Pretty! And I think your solution using the connector corners is just what I would have done, so I could use the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful piece, a lot of wonderful applique work and using reproductions is perfect for it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and I also love your idea to replace those diamonds - it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great idea for the diamonds. Love the little 'bird flowers'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have this pattern on my "someday" list, like your idea for the diamond border, will have to remember that......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! That was a perfect way to deal with the diamonds. Now if you happen to come up with a plan for my aversion to flying geese, I would love to hear it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful piece..
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent solution to the diamond dilemma! I love the quilt so far ... I hadn't seen it before, so seeing it this afternoon is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I've never worked with diamonds, but will try to remember your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Good thing you remembered the birds - they finish off the centre beautifully. Such a great pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Un treball molt bonic. M'agraden les molt les aplicacions.
    Molt bona setmana !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so beautiful. I love what you are doing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice, I like your diamond solution. I too have trouble with those diamonds. The little red birds really add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of my favorites you have made. The little red birds are such an addition to the tulips. How are your hands?
    think of you often. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. I love a medallion style quilt and look forward to seeing the next round go on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's very pretty so far--good call on the connector corners!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect get around for the diamonds! Looking forward to the next row. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. precioso!!!!
    Me gusta el cambio de los diamantes
    gran trabajo otra vez
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  19. la cabecera del bolg!!! con el país delas estaciones me gusta
    lo tengo en lista para empezar
    buena semana



    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks good! Good idea for the diamonds.
    Great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks great - the diamonds turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful ! Looking forward to seeing the next border !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love this quilt and yours is looking fabulous! Wonderful idea for the border.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is going to be stunning, Karen! I really like your fabric choices... you must have a great stash! Can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome idea on the diamonds! It is looking fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete