QUILT INFO

I used a Buttermilk Basin for the spring wool mat.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Blocks of the Month Progress And More

April has come and gone and I am a bit late posting progress on my blocks of the month.  First up are the blocks from Kathy Schmitz's "Simply Red" book that I am doing in blue.  I decided to finish all the machine applique blocks instead of doing just two.  Next up will be the pieced blocks for the setting.
I made another block for the "Piece and Plenty" basket quilt.  I did not care for the block 4 basket design and did not use it in either of the first two of these quilts that I made.  I used a Jan Patek design and altered it somewhat so it would fit the 12 inch block space.  I also made the filler blocks but am not showing those.

I made my first basket blocks for Jan Patek's  "Hearts and  Flowers" quilt that I am working on.

The last thing I am sharing today is how I decided to finish the large bird block I made a while back.  I used a free pattern called "Lydia's Dowry".  It is a medallion style pattern.  I used stash to make the applique center block.  I don't have enough of the fabrics that I used to continue making the complete quilt pattern and really never intended it to be a large size.  I started with the blue French General blue alphabet fabric as a border.  I sewed it on and then decided it just was not working.  I took the border pieces off and then added the red flange.  If  I would have had more of the blue alphabet fabric, I would have added a slightly wider red border first but since I had used all the blue and could not make longer border strips, the flange was all I could do.  The dark brown border came next since it was similar shade to the darker brown applique pieces.  And it had a pinkish red and a similar blue.  I am happy with the result.

That is all I have to share today.  Back to the sewing room.
Karen

25 comments:

  1. Oh, Karen, I love each and every one of your projects! But your bird block, which I printed out at the time you first showed it, is just wonderful! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have been busy, all beautiful projects and all beautifully done. I like how you used the blue and how they look like paper cuttings.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! You are stitching up a storm :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those first blocks look really intricate! You did a beautiful job on those! Love the flower baskets of course. The little quilt with the bird is lovely! The borders look just right. You have been really busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those first blocks look really intricate! You did a beautiful job on those! Love the flower baskets of course. The little quilt with the bird is lovely! The borders look just right. You have been really busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your projects look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue/white blocks are so striking! Definitely my favorite two color combination!
    Love the "Lydia's Dowry design. Your fabric choices are spot on--that red flange is an excellent addition. And I love the background fabric--ticking, or just a look alike?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen que bonitos bloques. Me encantan las telas que has puesto de fondo de los bloques, son preciosas.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  9. maravillosos trabajos otra vez
    ¡¡¡las cesta preciosas!!!
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, they're all such beautiful pieces! I like the addition of the red flange on the large bird block ... that bit of red adds a little pop without overpowering the piece. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need to sleep! LOL!

    You know me...loving all if it! The last little basket with berries.....OMG just too stinkin cute. I went online to see pattern and found I liked this block more than the quilt with hearts. But that's me...it is cute.
    The black blocks would look good too with Little Black Dress by Moda that is out and very hot right now.

    Keep churning them out...love seeing them...and get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your circles are so perfect! Do you have a tip to share?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I'm always amazed by your talent - your applique is just wonderful. Love the intricate blue and white blocks - that is going to be a really stunning quilt. I love the bird block too - great background and the borders worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Karen for the Piece & Plenty block idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are gorgeous! Your stitching is so precise... those berries are perfectly round! I can't wait to see the piece and plenty one all together! It's going to be an heirloom quilt for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen your work is beautiful. I always want to work on what your are working on...lol. I am such a fan of baskets and I absolutely love the bird block. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. The medallion quilt is looking so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful projects- I especially love how your indigo appliqued blocks are coming along - just love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blocks Karen, the medallion quilt with the bird is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the blue and white blocks, especially!! They are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All of your applique' blocks are beautiful! Your large bird block is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I've seen these Kathy Schmidt blocks before but they are wonderful in blue! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic projects. Really like the indigo blocks, such detail. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my. I always fall in love with your beautiful work! Those indigo blocks are especially intriguing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all of your projects! The blue one is going to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete