QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Collector Series Flimsy Done

Hurray!  Another flimsy done and again a long time in the making of it.  I finished Jan Patek and Linda Brannock's "Collector Series" quilt top.
I have to say that this was not the easiest quilt top to make.  I definitely would not recommend the pattern to a beginner quilter.  The blocks with the hearts surrounding a house, the basket, and the pot of flowers were difficult.  I finally drew my own heart block very similar to the original, made paper templates to stitch and then used the pattern applique designs.  There were some other blocks that I used freezer paper for paper piecing and I am certainly not the best at that.  And many, many partial seams to sew this together.  No directions on how to accomplish what needed to be done.  But I do like the end result and I am glad I stuck with it.

Generous friends played a role in my being able to make this quilt.  I was given the patterns and some of the  fabric kits.  I was given a wonderful notebook to store the patterns in (see pictures below).  And given encouragement.  Two blocks that I really like are the wide basket block in the upper right area and the tall basket on the lower left.  I happened to have a piece of the same basket fabric used in the original quilt  for the wide basket and I was pleased with the result.  I used lots of plaids in making the blocks with a scattering of print fabrics.  Below you can see pictures of my favorite baskets.


Here is a picture of the notebook given to me by a friend.  It had belonged to a very close friend of hers that passed away.
And a view of the inside.
I plan on keeping the patterns as there are additional designs using the block patterns and I may utilize some of those at a future date.

Happy Dance!
Karen

32 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I find that some patterns are a little more instructional than others... Jan Patek's patterns are definitely for the more experienced quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it so much ! Congratulations, Karen, you did a fantastic job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made the quilt ! Yeahhh! It is Beautiful Karen !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hearts do look difficult! It looks wonderful though. I love the basket of flowers especially. And your quilt in the header is beautiful too! Are you ever asked to do trunk shows? You have an amazing collection of quilts in your collection.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a beautiful job on it, really beautiful quilt.
    I do like to keep patterns like that, always more that you can do with them and make into smaller projects for add to other projects. I have a few with multiple appliqué blocks and hopefully I will be able to do some.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patterns are not always clear and many are lacking directions. I think sometimes it's so much to "say" in print that it gets lost in the writing of the patterns. Glad you kept at this one as it's really a great top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, que preciosidad, te ha quedado genial.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous finish Karen!! Congratulations! I definitely like the long basket block too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is a masterpiece for sure. I see why the basket blocks are your favorites. Congratulations for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen: What an awesome quilt! It is great that you stuck with it even with all the challenges that you encountered. Kudos to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You used so many wonderful fabrics. I think the basket you like is my favorite block as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic finish Karen! WOWSER!

    ReplyDelete
  13. precioso!!!!
    el edredón de cabecera fantástico
    el bloque de la cesta me gusta muchísimo
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  14. So gorgeous! Having never done applique, I obviously am a long, long, long ways from ever working on something like this ... but I would love to make that quilt some day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh what a fun quilt you have made! Those do look like some tough blocks...congratulations on stickin' to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt looks wonderful. They are great patterns even if they take a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! It just looks fab! Hugs
    lida

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't notice the background hearts at first--yikes! I can see how those would be challenging! I love the finished top--worth the effort, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful. I only have one of the patterns and it is the basket you love. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your little basket quilt show. I always loved primitive quilts for their simplicity. So glad you were able to figure out how to get it put together. Shows all the experience that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The baskets in the upper right and the bee skips are my favorite... great looking quilt, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Brava, Lady! This one really calls to me. I haven't made a folksy/primitive quilt yet, and I keep wanting to do one very much. Super nice finish here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Karen, what a masterpiece! Each block is amazing and your work is so beautiful. I love it! -Derrith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Karen! Stunning!!!! I absolutely love it and you know me... this is just my style. Congratulations on a difficult finish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That turned out super cute! Those designers design great looking quilts but write crappy directions! lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your version turned out really great. I love your heart blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on the finish, and a special story the set found a new home. I liked seeing the blocks separately, it's easier to see the detail. There is a lot of detail in the quilt!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job! I'm glad you stuck with it. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats on another fabulous finish.
    I just love that basket block.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Find best business plan from home without any work, just invest $1 and get 120% Total Profit within a week
    EarningsClub.Com

    ReplyDelete
  31. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete