QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Friday, June 6, 2014

Noah and Matilda Part 2 and More

I completed more Noah and Matilda blocks.  I am not doing them in any particular order.  Just what I pick up at the time.  The patterns are available through Dawn of Collector With A Needle.  She is releasing four blocks per month and the price is very reasonable. My fabric selection has come from stash thus far but I may need to shop for some more green.

Next up are two more of the "Loch Lomond" blocks.

I like the one red fabric that has little sheep on it.  A Primitive Gatherings fabric.  As I mentioned in my last post, the pattern was designed by Geoff's Mom.  It was inspired by a trip she took to Scotland.

And last up are two blocks I have completed using Jo Morton's Whig Rose pattern.

I have had the border fabric saved for a long time to make this quilt.  I should have taken a picture of it and will for a future post.  It is the same one Jo used in her quilt.  She wrote that she wanted to show that you could use any of her fabrics in making this quilt and used pieces from different lines.  Well, I wanted the same look as the original with purples, pinks, and reds but I did not have fabrics from Jo's lines in those colors.  Not enough to have much variety anyhow.  I just felt like I could not pull it together using only her fabrics.  I ran across the border fabric last week while looking for another piece of fabric.  I decided it was time to do something with it or pass it on.  I started pulling fabric from the shelves and chose not to limit myself to using only Jo's fabrics.  I should have done that a long time ago.  I pulled pieces out of stash that were mainly reproduction fabrics or had a look that would blend in.  It takes me stitching over two days to complete a block.  I have a third one started and one more to go after that.

I have been watching applique tutorial videos on You Tube.  Such a variety to select from.  It is like getting a free class when I watch one.  I want to try another method of applique and have ordered some supplies to try the freezer paper and starch method and another with a wash away stabilizer.  I will let you know the results.

Time for lunch and then back to stitching.
Karen

21 comments:

  1. Great blocks Karen! The fabrics remind me a little of Thimbleberries fabrics. This is going to be a nice quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really doing a beautiful job on your blocks. I cannot do appliqué that has to be centered.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful projects ! You always do such beautiful appliqué

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do such lovely applique. Your project choices are wonderful and you have such a knack for putting together great fabrics. I like them all, but I really like those Whig Rose blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maravillosos!! todos estos bloques
    Pero me gusta especialmente
    Loch Lomond".
    ¡círculos! me gustan.......
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your blocks are great. I've been working on N&M this week too. Love how you did the cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All beautiful blocks, the cactus is certainly unique, and I just love Loch Lommond. I will be very interested to follow your trials of different appliqué methods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blocks! It's fun to mix lines of fabric. I think that's part of what gives our quilts the personal touch! You do a brilliant job. It will be interesting to learn some new methods I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see your stash. You put these blocks together so beautifully. I would be interested in knowing what appliqué technique you are using for each set of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your blocks are lovely!! You have gotten so much done! I try to mix up the fabric and not stay with just one line if I can find things that 'work'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They all look good but that Whig Rose is going to beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your blocks... although I think I'm most partial to the Whig Rose blocks.

    I'm trying to learn to applique. I've tried needle turn applique (fail) and freezer paper applique (without the starch - win). I think I would prefer the freezer paper/starch method ... but the wash away stabilizer intrigues me. I can't wait to hear your reviews of those two applique methods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty blocks. Whig rose is one of my all time favorites - Jo's is a good pattern and your fabrics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow,fabulous blocks.Less to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Karen your blocks are beautiful. I hope to start Noah and Matilda soon and can only hope my blocks will look as good as yours. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabric selection has always been a headache for me. Some fabric lines are so strong in personality that it's very difficult to pull others in. I recently discovered that tossing all the fabric selection "rules" out the window is not a bad idea at all. I learned appliqué using the freezer paper spray starch methods. Still use that. Your blocks look terrific. Good you didn't give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks are just lovely! I am looking forward to hearing how you like the different applique methods- I am always looking for new "better" ways as well, and I just love You Tube tutorials :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always wanted to use the wash away stabilizer for machine applique. Looking forward to your review! Love the cactus block.

    ReplyDelete
  19. More great appliqué! Love the two color cactus.
    I'm interested in how you like the water soluable fusing. Always open for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilts are an inspiration! I am now quilting my very first all hand appliquéd quilt and someday I want to make something along the lines of your Collector Series quilt top - maybe something easier, though. Isn't it amazing how much you can learn from You-Tube tutorials? I am so thankful for teachers putting their instructions out there for us to view.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blocks, esp the Loch Lamond- just a fun style.
    I see no reason to limit ourselves to one designer :)

    ReplyDelete