QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Whig Rose Flimsy

Jo's Whig Rose flimsy is done....just a few minutes ago.  I couldn't wait to take a picture and share it with you.  I like the end result.
I mentioned in a previous post that I was able to find the same border fabric Jo Morton had used in her quilt.   It is called Broderie Perse and was by Kathy Hall. But that was quite some time ago.  I think a multi- color floral or paisley that makes you happy would work.  I had my doubts about the border fabric.  Not all the colors Jo used for her applique pieces were in the floral fabric.  I thought maybe there was more than one colorway of the floral printed but I could never find evidence of that.  I studied the picture of the quilt best as I could.  The pattern was also published in a Quilt Mania magazine which I had.  In those photos, every thing looked much lighter than in the pictures in Jo's book "Traditions".  I decided to just use what I wanted to get a similar applique look.

I managed to sew one border set of triangles all the wrong direction and had to un-sew and re-sew.  The quilt top is about 60 inches square.  Blocks are 18 inches finished.

Happy Dance!
Karen

30 comments:

  1. I love it too, you did a beautiful job on it and that border is perfect for the design, I can see why you wanted to use it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, love it even more!
    I think it would even look good in wool (which is the only way I would ever do the applique!). : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutely beautiful!! I love it!! You did a great job choosing your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!! I think the border fabric is just perfect, and I love those tiny triangles...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful!! It is one of my favorites of all that you have done!!! Gorgeous, rich colors!!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The border fabric extenuates the colors in the blocks even if some of those colors aren't in the border. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That border fabric is perfect! It really pulls it all together. You've got another gorgeous piece! BTW....3am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Una belleza de quilt, nos ha encantado. Felicidades por ese maravilloso trabajo.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty..i love it so much x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Karen...that border is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous!!! The border fabric really compliments and brings out the colors in the roses! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! the dark border sets it off wonderfully

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's just beautiful! Finding the border fabric was a perfect ending!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous finish Karen!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen,

    We seem to be on similar paths. I recently finished the Loch Lomond quilt and also did Jo's Whig Rose. I did mine in a somewhat different color and used the sheep print for the border. Love it. Yours looks gorgeous, wish I had found that floral print when I was doing mine.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Un treball preciós.
    Bon cap de setmana !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This Whig Rose is my favorite of all you have done. Colors and border are perfect. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome Karen! It's a little bit prim and a little bit rock 'n roll! Just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maravilloso!!!!!
    me gusta todo el conjunto.
    los triángulos y la frontera, simplemente genial
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Your quilt is beautiful--love Jo Morton fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it really is a beautiful quilt. I love all the flying geese and half squares...

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is beautiful! The flying geese smashing really makes this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen it is beautiful. Congrats. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally love this Whig Rose! The fabrics you have chosen are so perfect!!WoW!!!

    ReplyDelete