QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Bible Quilt

I finished sewing all the sashings to the blocks and put everything together.  Borders on too.  So the quilt top is done.  I will have to think about the quilting a bit before doing anything about it.  The blocks were not the easiest to create.  There are no layouts.  You have to look at the block picture and try to get the same look and find enough space for all plus the words to be embroidered.  The two small sun blocks were paper pieced and then stitched done by hand applique.  I used needle turn applique for the rest of the designs.


I have admired the pictures I have seen of the antique Bible quilt made by Harriet Powers.  The style of this quilt reminds me of the style of Mrs. Powers' quilt.  You can see a picture of her quilt here.  The pattern set for the quilt I made was done by Jan Patek.  I see that Cotton Patch has it as a block of the month.  Jan Patek  is selling the pattern set on her website.  Colonial Crafts has some of the patterns available but looks like not all.  I didn't find it availabe anywhere else.  But watch E-Bay.  I do see them come up for bid on there now and then.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit.
Karen

21 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job Karen...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your arrangement of the pieces looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fantastic job. The color for the sashing was the perfect pick. With limited instructions you got to make it more of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this quilt Karen! You did an excellent job on it, especially since the directions were not good. I did order Cheri's Country Seasons pattern the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best quilt in blogland right now. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your version, Karen ~ beautiful! Your choices were all spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous!! I so enjoyed catching up on your last few posts! Your projects are so fun!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how yours came out and color choices. I got stuck on the animals, the layout is a pain and the small pieces, I am thinking of scrapping the first block and starting over with raw edge.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a perfect job on this quilt ! Love the sashing fabric

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favorites that you have made, Karen. How long have you been working on this one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Karen it is absolutely wonderful! What an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a FABULOUS quilt! So well done! You should be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an amazing job on this; I have seen a lot of these and I really do admire your color choices--seem just right for the idea of this pattern...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your finish. Love the sun blocks, those are a lot of tiny points! The lower right block is great the way it extends into two.
    Nice colors/fabric selections!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on another awesome finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is fabulous! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's really lovely, Karen! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully done! I have all the blocks done except the last one. I substituted some blocks --adding Daniel in the Lion's Den and Jacob's Ladder. I think I started this quilt top five years ago. Time to get it finished! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully done! I have all the blocks done except the last one. I substituted some blocks --adding Daniel in the Lion's Den and Jacob's Ladder. I think I started this quilt top five years ago. Time to get it finished! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a wonderful warm quilt. I love this pattern - your colors make it really special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice finish! I really enjoyed working on mine and my niece still really loves it! :)

    ReplyDelete