QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Antique Shopping

We returned yesterday from a two week vacation.  I did some browsing in a few antique shops.  Found some quilts and will share a few pictures with you.  Last year we stopped at an antique shop in the Blue Ridge Parkway/Smokey Mtn. area and found a shop with many, many quilts.  I was asked the name of the shop and address but could not find it.  This year, I have a business card.  The first photos are from Smokey Park Antique Mall at 2215 Smokey Park Hwy in Candler, North Carolina.


The shop has several Singer Featherweight sewing machines.  You can only see one which I think is a shame.  I am guessing that the green case holds a celery (greenish) colored featherweight.  By the price I could see on a black case, the machines are not a bargain.







The Princess Feather was my favorite antique quilt at this shop.  There were many, many quilts.  The shop is very musty and damp smelling.  Very crowded with antiques of all sorts including sewing items but not good for taking pictures.

The following quilts were one seen in a variety of shops.  Just something to look at.  Nothing special.




I like the cheddar sashing on this one.  Spotted in a wonderful shop in North Carolina when Mary from Quilt Hollow took me shopping.  Yes, I got to visit her again this year!  And I got to see her new home and all the wonderful quilts she has displayed.  A feast for the eyes.

That is it for antique/vintage quilt pictures.  I have other things to share with you in a future post.
Karen

18 comments:

  1. I have seen quilts in some of our stores but they are too pricey for me. Fun to look though. I see you are doing a few eagle quilts. I was going through my stuff and forgot about the eagle one that jan had giving for free and forgot all about it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip!
    I love seeing your pictures and wish I was on vacation :-)
    Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the vintage quilts. The uniqueness of the GFG setting caught my eye. I loved the cheddar sashing on the hourglass quilt, too.
    And how fun that you got to see Mary's new home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun that you got to visit with Mary again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must make note of those shops, as DH and I plan to visit the BRP/Smokey Mtn area next spring. Thanks for sharing the eye candy - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect post to read with my coffee this morning! The princess feather is my favorite quilt too! My husband always loves digging in the antique shops and almost always finds a featherweight, but I pass because I already have two. My Mom owns one of the white ones! Glad you had fun and got to see your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! The 6th photo down looks like a very old (and dirty) quilt. I like the one you like and the end one with all the cheddar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice vacation you had and you got to visit with Mary too :-D

    That Princess farther quilt is wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter has my husband's grandmother's featherweight. It is a white one and has a green case. Those cases looks really musty. So sad that they don't belong to someone who could love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be in heaven seeing all those antique quilts. I bought a few before I started quilting myself, and I just love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you lived closer so we could visit regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love it ... Perfect trip!!
    Thank you for your nice comment.
    Happy sewing!!! Carmen María.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed seeing all of these antique and vintage quilts...thanks for the tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sound like you had a great trip again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun vacation. I love rummaging around antique stores. You just never know what treasures you will find.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I have missed your posts. Glad to hear you had a fun vacation! Thank you for sharing these antique quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed this post very much! Thanks for sharing these. I love the Sugar loaf quilt - old and very worn and looks like lots of interesting fabrics :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOO! what fun to see all those quilts. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete