QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Monday, August 11, 2014

Love More

Katerina Alexakos of P&B Textiles asked if I would be interested in making a small quilt from a new line of fabric called "Love More".  The fabric line is designed by Susan Black.  You can see the line here and also find a free pattern for a quilt designed by Nancy Mahoney called "Amore".  You can find her free pattern here.

I had twelve fat quarters to play with.

 I find it easier to have a quilt pattern in hand and then select fabric than to have the fabric first and then try to decide what to make with it.  I had a visual in my mind as to what I would make but that immediately changed when the fabric was in hand.  Here is what I came up with.


I selected an applique block pattern by Kay Mackenzie in a ten inch size.  I opted to add from my own stash a mottled off white background fabric for the applique.  You could use one of the small vine prints from the line for the block background  if you like a busier look.  For me, I wanted to focus on the "love more" print used for the vase and the fussy cutting I did for the flowers and leaves.  Here is a picture of my Swiss cheese fabric after fussy cutting the flowers and leaves.
I was able cut my flower shapes from red circular flowers in the print.  The lines in the design worked well for my flowers.  The gold circles in the print formed my flower centers.  And I used portions of the black and grey leaves for the flower plant's leaves.  The stems were cut from a vine section of the large design grey print.  The inner sashing is cut from the leaf stripe fabric in the section of black, grey and white part.

I can see one of the larger design prints being used for a Stack and Whack quilt where you are making kaleidoscope style blocks.  If you don't know what I mean, look at some of these images of quilts done in this style.

There are two color ways in the actual word print  fabric  that says" Love More" but it is not the only one in the line that has words.  For those of you who collect word fabric, you might just have to have some.  The print below has words scattered here and there.


I have to decide which of the left over fabric pieces will be the backing.  Maybe I will cut and piece some for a more interesting look.

Lori from Humble Quilts also is working on a quilt from the same line of fabric.  Pay her a visit to see hers.  She also is using the leaf print on a portion of her quilt but there there the similarities end.

Back to playing and hope you will be soon.
Karen

19 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love how the leaves line up on the two edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would ask you too, love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the quilt you came up with, nice use of the prints and a modern twist of an antique design.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--this is very cool! I would never have come up with something like this from these fabrics. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it--very creative use of the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your block! Oh no, another line I love, too!! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. So talented!! Great job of using the fabric but putting your own spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a very pretty applique...love it! I like your background, as I enjoy the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it Karen! Nice work. I considered adding a light from my stash, but was trying to challenge myself not to. I wish I had now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, wonderful Job! I love how you use the fabric, the result is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I think you came up with a fantastic design using this fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! The fabric didn't grab me but your work with it certainly did! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great new fabrics. Looks like your having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful and creative use of the fabrics you were given.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never been able to imagine something so cute from the photo of the fabrics! Job well done! I love how you think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete