QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Saturday, October 11, 2014

New Wool Mat

Taking part of a quilt pattern and creating something new  with it was my goal with this wool mat.  I used a block from the "Autumn Quilt" pattern set by Heart to Hand.  It reminded me of a penny mat.  I added wool pennies to the top of the block.  Then I free form cut curvy shapes for  prim look tongues.  This is what I came up with.


Another view.

The grey/green wool background is a Moda wool that I have had for a long time.  I purchased it half price and have held onto it hoping I could find a use for it.  As a green, it just never seemed to work for leaves.  About the only thing I could use with it was rust and browns.  Now I have nothing left but small scraps of it.  In the center circle, the rust plaid was gifted me  by a friend.  A large piece from a thrift store.  The pale yellow from a recycled wool jacket.

To show you what the original quilt block would look like, here is a picture of the pattern section.  You can see the block in the upper left hand corner.  The pattern can be found here.


Stay tuned as I have turned another of the blocks into a smaller size wall hanging and it is almost done.

Hope your Saturday can be spent in the sewing room.  At least part of the day.
Karen

18 comments:

  1. You are on a roll, a quilt a day;)
    Love what you did with the design.
    I did find some blocks that kelley sent me, so I will thinking of something fun to make with them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!! Love it...and isn't it nice to find a use for that piece of green!! It was meant for this project!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡¡¡¡ verde !!!!
    me gusta este trabajo
    buen domingo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you the clever one? Have you chosen where it will sit and what will rest in the center of the star? Or are you gifting it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with your block. It is beautiful!! I have never worked with wool, and so I have a few questions. Is it a special fabric that is felted? When you use recycled fabric from a wool jacket, do you have to do anything special to it to keep the edges from fraying?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea. I like that quilt, but do not want to make the entire thing. Turning one block into a penny mat or wall hanging is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great solution for that odd green color! Don't you love when you finally found the perfect project for a piece of fabric you have had for a long time! Makes me wish I had a room full of vintage fabrics to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precioso, y muy otoñal, me encantan las telas.
    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a smart idea! Your little mat turned out very cute ... and most all of the blocks from the bigger piece would be cute as solos!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it - that's a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your interpretation and your perfect use for some of your special wools.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice adaptation. :) I like the quilt pattern it came from, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wool is perfect for that wool mat! I like everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love it! My eye is always drawn to stars and pennies!
    Best wishes
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this penny rug! I have a lot of wool, but haven't done much with it yet.

    ReplyDelete