QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pumpkin Seed Mat

The Pumpkin Seed shown in my previous post is now done.  It is approximately ten inches square.



I used a brushed flannel plaid for the backing.



To give you an idea of the process, I took some pictures.  I mentioned in my previous post that I obtained the seed shape from the Electric Quilt program but there are online images that you can find if you do a search.  The larger the seed, the more black you will see.  I traced the seed shape to Heat 'n Bond Lite, rough cut them outside the drawn line.  Then fused them to scrap pieces of wool.  I then cut on the line.  Once I had quite a few seeds ready, I began laying them out on black wool. Point to point.  I was not sure how large of a mat I wanted so I worked on a big piece of wool and then trimmed it down leaving some of the black wool extending beyond the outer edge of the seeds.  I fused the seeds down using an iron.  You could use any method of preparation that you normally prep your wool applique shapes.  I happen to like this method.


I used two strands of black embroidery floss and an overcast stitch but left the outer edge of the mat unstitched at this point.  I adhered the fusible to a piece of brushed cotton plaid that was a bit larger than I needed.  This was then fused to the back of the black wool.




I trimmed the curved outer edges with sharp scissors before doing a button hole stitch with the black floss.  I was able to hide my knots between the layers of wool.


I am including a drawing of my pumpkin seed template.  I have never added a template to my blog post before so I don't know how this is going to work.


I can see making a larger size mat with only one round of the seeds around the outside edge and a blank inner space for some kind of wool applique.  Maybe done in spring colors with a rabbit.  If you make one of these wool mats, I would love to see a picture of it.

Karen

42 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! Thanks so much for the details and tips and the little template.
    Hope to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooo!!! Love it!! Thank you for the tutorial too...I bookmarked it for the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful piece and I love the wool colors. That would be fun to do in a large quilt and take the time making it, and using up scraps from other pieces.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, if you look at my blog, you will see your half square triangles!! Some of them, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant!! I printed off the template and it worked like a charm!! So adorable!! I loved the way you fused the cotton to the wool!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your little mat and thanks so much for sharing how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable little mat you have! You love to work tiny little pieces. Oh my gosh it is so small! Great work and congrats on the cutest finish of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful finish Karen! love the jewel colours on the black, and the curved button hole edge is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! That buttonhole stitching frosted it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I'll add this to the bucket list. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the brushed cotton backing! We have a new quilt shop an hour away that has a large selection of brushed cotton and I am thrilled because it is my favorite to use as backing for hand quilting projects. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely finish! Thanks for sharing the tutorial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely, well done! Would love to try it. I think your idea for a new one sounds great, would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really pretty design. I am going to attempt to make one. 'Will post a photo with a link to your post when finished. Probably will wait until after the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it and what a perfect use of leftover wool! Thank you for the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a lot of relaxing fun and the finished piece is awesome! I just might have to give this a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very cute and thanks for sharing your process! Love the way all the colors work together with the black stitching

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pumpkin seed mat is so cute! I love how the black sets off all the lovely colors. The quilt on your header right now looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! It would look wonderful on an antique table top. Hmmm, I have just the spot...:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice Karen. I must add this to my to do list only maybe a little larger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for all the helpful info! I'm saving the instructions and definitely plan to make one of these after the first of the year! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mat is so beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial and the template.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it and thank you for the tutorial. Great use of wool pieces

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful pumpkin seed mat. Nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love everything about your pumpkin seed mat! Nice Job!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Karen,
    lovely work, love the colors. Thank you for your explanation and all the pictures on how to make it.
    Greegtings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is absolutely darling and I think it would translate well to quilting cottons - since I'm allergic to wool - and I love the idea of using them as a frame around an applique. Well done tutorial Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is lovely... simple as that! Thanks for the tutorial on your method.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This turned out so cute! Thanks for showing your steps.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic tutorial. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is gorgeous!
    Great inspiration for making one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this Karen,
    Great tutorial.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love it and such a great way to use up woolly scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Es un trabajo preciso!!!
    me gustan muchísimo los colores
    Gracias por compartir tutorial y plantilla
    saludos

    ReplyDelete