QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Scrappy Wool Pumpkin Seeds

Today I am linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching and working on a scrappy wool mat.


I have a big bag of small bits of wool that are left overs from projects.  I often search through the scraps when I need a single small piece of something for wool applique.  It was during one of these searches that I decided to use some for a pumpkin seed design.  I found the shape in the Electric Quilt program under stencils/curves and printed it out small.  If you go larger, more black will show. You could also do an image search on Google for the pumpkin seed quilt design.   After I had a bunch cut out, I rough cut a piece of black wool about the size I thought I might want the end product to be.  I have Heat 'n Bond Lite on the back of the shapes but you could use your favorite method for prepping the wool pieces.  I just started laying out the pieces matching points to points.  I worked on a pressing mat so I could apply heat from the iron without having to move anything.  I plan on leaving the outer side of the seeds un-stitched until all the other pieces are attached.  I will then add a backing and trim the edges of the black to match the curve of the seeds.  I will stitch the outer edge at that time.

I found that I liked the look of medium and dark values on the black wool background.  Not too dark, though, as I wanted to be able to distinguish the shapes of the seeds well.  I will save the lighter seeds I cut out for future use.  I did not cut many of those but I think on a white wool background, they would make a nice mat for spring display.

Be sure to pay Kathy a visit today and follow the links to what others are working on.  Her blog post today is an interesting read.

Karen

30 comments:

  1. Such a pretty wool project!
    I've always loved this pattern. Great that it works for using up your wool scraps. I look forward to seeing the finished piece once completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wool pumpkin seeds! I have a bunch of small pieces of wool I bought a long time ago...they might be perfect for a project like this! I just need to get a piece of black for the background and get cutting! Thanks for the inspiration! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a striking piece! Thank you for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I love it!! So very pretty!! And the best part for me is NO needle turning the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used wool, but you inspired me!
    The dark background makes a dramatic effect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear karen,that looks pretty good,i love to work with wool and i have a lot of scraps,have a nice week,susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are BRILLIANT!! Love this and a great way to use up scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I have a thing for that pumpkin seed shape! You are tempting me !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this project! I'm new to wool applique -- will you use same colors for stitching or black? Do you use a second layer of wool for the back -- doesn't that make it very thick?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG !!! Love your quilt ! What a perfect way to use your wool scraps !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the colors pop on the black background--what a great idea for scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh very neat wool piece! Love those brilliant colors on the black...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colours - and your seeds look like they might be really tiny! Wool must be lovely to stitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful and beautiful colors. I was looking at something with the leaf shape in the corners from a brackman design, would be nice for a bed quilt.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! Wool projects just have such a warm look to them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, I really like this idea for using the small bits from projects....thanks for the inspiration.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful quilt. A great idea to use wool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to use u some random wool scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty project. Hey, that is something I could do--my kind of applique!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. How vibrant these colors look ; what a gorgeous project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just beautiful. I love it, and you could do one for each season, including a Christmas one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so cute Karen! How big did you cut the black? It is hard to tell by the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful project... love it!
    So glad you could join us for some slow stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful use for scraps! I love it.
    Will go to your link next.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Love how bright your pumpkin seeds are against that dark background.:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karen, this is a beautiful pattern -- I've never heard of it before! It's perfect for all your pretty, colorful wool scraps!! :)

    ReplyDelete