QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Berry Sampler

A finish to share with you.  I struggled through the cross stitching on some high thread count linen to make Blackbird Designs "Berry Sampler".  It is a combination of cross stitch and wool applique.  Meant to be a framed piece but I made it into a pillow instead.


I had to use a magnifier hanging around my neck to be able to see the threads to count.  In fact, I had to use the little circle of higher magnification on it with one eye closed to be able to see.  I was so glad to get through that part of the project.  The wool applique was done first and then the alphabet letters placed where I could fit them.  The center "Dear Friend" part was done last.

If you are interested in making one yourself, the design is in"Samples From the Past" part three.  I think the pattern leaflets are out of print.  I see part three only offered used on Amazon and on E-Bay.

I like a firm pillow for a sofa.  Ready made pillow forms are too soft.  I purchased a pillow at a thrift store that was probably part of a sofa set.  It was nice and firm and did not appear to have ever been used.  I did not take it apart.  I just put it inside the pillow cover and it works well.  The thrift store pillow cost $2.00 which is less than a ready made pillow form from a craft store.

I am working on finishing up projects that I did not get done before Christmas.  I will have more to share with you over the next few days.

Karen

25 comments:

  1. Que bonito Karen, te ha quedado precioso. Una idea estupenda hacer una almohada.
    Te deseamos una feliz entrada al año nuevo.
    Un beso muy fuerte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I find it is tough to do that tiny cross stitch now. Quite unique design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. como almohada, es una buena idea
    ¡¡¡me gusta!!!
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes a beautiful pillow design, love how it came out.
    I think it is time I made some to go with my new couch.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's perfect as a pillow. Your friend will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Karen !!

    Lovely pillow :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice job! I like the combination of cross-stitch and wool.
    I don't do well with cross-stitching over high thread count linen. I love the look, I just don't do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Karen,
    very nice pillow, believe the stitching part was hard with the magnifying glas, but it was very well worth it.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. Hate what getting older does to our vision :-((

    ReplyDelete
  11. Un coixi molt bonic.
    Et desitjo un feliç 2015 per tu i els teus.
    Petons !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pillow !!
    Happy new year Karen !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pillow! Back in the day when my eyes were younger, I used to do a good bit of counted cross stitching over high count linen - the higher the count the better! I enjoyed doing it and I loved the look. Obviously my eyes could never do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I completely understand the vision part! I can't see close up hardly at all and need magnification. I can only cross stitch for about 20 minutes at a time because my eyes literally get 'goofy' and I need to stop. Love the pillow! Smart idea about using a pillow rather than the form.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with small cross stitch! Love your pillow and I've done the same for the pillow form. Happy New Year, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It made a terrific pillow - the letters around the wreath are really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very pretty finish! I gave up counted cross stitch years ago because of my declining eyesight, so I can appreciate the struggle with lighting, etc. I have two unfinished Xstitch projects that are so close to being done-- maybe outside on a very sunny summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pillow finish! I have so enjoyed following your works-in-progress throughout the year--thanks so much Happy New Year Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the combination of counted cross stitch and wool - I want to remember that! A few years ago I went to a huge yard sale where there were several sofa pillows for sale - fifty cents each. I bought several and have loved using them! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is really beautiful - good for you on finishing it with such a struggle to see!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I imagine that cross stitch was a bit challenging to your eyes but it looks beautifully made! The design is unique and full of interest. Really lovely and a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. PS Love the new header blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely pillow and I totally get magnifying the work! I also like a firm pillow. I recently stuffed more stuffing into a couple of needle point pillows in my LR that had deflated over time.
    Happy New Year! it's always fun to see what you are working on.

    ReplyDelete