QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Inspired By An Antique Quilt

Dawn from Collector With A Needle sent me a magnet set and some cards to be used as bookmarks.  These are from the Denver Art Museum.  The house quilt blocks on the card and the one magnet inspired me to make a block for Dawn that looked much like the block in the middle of the card.  I used graph paper to draw the block parts.  I chose an eight inch size for the block with one inch pieced diagonal stripe sashing around it.  Not an easy block to piece in this size because of all the seams.  And not easy to hand quilt because of those same seams.


I forgot to take a picture before sealing the package.  Dawn gave me permission to use the photo she sent to me of the little quilt where she has it displayed.


If I were to make another of the house blocks, I would make it larger in size so that I would be easier to piece and hand quilt  Maybe a finished 12 inch block.  I have no idea what size the house blocks are on the antique quilt.  If you would like to view a picture of the quilt, visit the museum web site here.

Today was spent with quilting friends for a holiday gathering.  I have photos to share and will do that tomorrow.
Karen

16 comments:

  1. I love how that came out, you did a beautiful job on reproducing it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming house block. It looks like it was really a lot of work. But it also looks like it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear karen that looks like a very special quilt,well done,susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful gift to make your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun little quilt! The antique quilt is amazing--so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your house quilt. Bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say you couldn't have gotten any closer than that with imitating the block on the card. It's perfect Karen. I'm sure Dawn loves it as she has it displayed so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a fun border on that house block! Nice work reproducing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet of Dawn to send you those things. You made a terrific replica of the house block--that "candy cane" border is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an awesome interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea and what an incredible job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! what a lovely gift and you really really captured the house quilt perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a fantastic little quilt, I have to say it again...it is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete