QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Catch Up Time

I am playing catch up and am back working on the Pieceand Plenty Basket quilt.  Here is the 7th basket block.  This block was designed by Minnick and Simpson.  They made their block a sand pail instead of a basket.  There are 15 main block patterns in the set and lots of setting blocks.  So eight to go.



I purchased some Field Notes by Blackbird Designs fabric last year.  It was not a new fabric line at the time so not a lot available.  I purchased a layer cake, background fabric, and two pieces for border and sashings.  All this with no design in mind.  I thought some kind of basket design might work.  Blackbird Designs has a pattern for a very large basket shaped much like the one I settled on only the big basket has lots of flowers in it.  I worked from a small layout diagram in the book and simplified the basket design drawing it to fit and eight inch by twelve inch block.  I have the first one done and fourteen more prepped for applique.  I am not sure how I will set them yet.  Possibly in a strip style.

The last thing I finished is a wool snowman applique door knob hanger.  The pattern is by Oley Valley Primitives and is a downloadable design.  Stitching was easy and finished in an evening while watching television.


I am back working on an applique project I started on vacation last summer and will share that with you soon.  It is at an awkward stage right now for pictures.

See you soon.
Karen

28 comments:

  1. Love the basket/bucket block! I recognized it at once as a Minnick and Simpson design. i always enjoy seeing your applique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That snowman wall hanger is adorable. I really enjoy seeing your appliqué projects take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that basket of flowers --and Monsieur Snowman is so cute! I am trying to find the energy to GET into the closet to straighten/fold all those fabrics...into some kind of findable (is that a new word??lol) arrangement. hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you taunting us with that sweet sand pail? Ugh, this dreary, damp, cold weather. The basket is to die for and the background fabric is a perfect choice....really adds interest. Love the little snowman, too. Wool applique provides almost instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sand pail is too fun! I love the fabrics you used as well. Is this pattern from a collaboration of designers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a cute sand pail block.
    Fun little snowman door knob hanger. You could even sew bells where the gold pennies are on the bottom if you wanted noise whenever the door was moved. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of doing a sand pail quilt, need to reorder their book from the library and copy the patterns. I also like their ark quilt, probably make more sense to buy the book, lol. The door hanger is cute, I was thinking of doing some with patterns I have, easy enough to put ones from our books, onto them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THESE BASKETS !!!!!! I am a big fan of Minnick and Simpson fabrics. I remember field notes too. Just gorgeous fabric.

    Your snowman is the CUTEST :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the link! The wool snowman is just the kind of easy project for an evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your adaptation of the basket! Your pail basket is cute, amazing background piecing!

    And to cap it off a wooly snowman. Lovely snow and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your baskets are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. preciosas cestas preciosas !!!
    el muñeco fantástico
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blocks, especially the gray basket with the flower. The snowman is adorable.
    Can't wait to see you next projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing the basket block especially! I don't think I will ever tire of seeing baskets in quilting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember making that pail block and wondering why in the world did I need to go to all that work for the background when it doesn't even show up. Your pail is great and I appreciate all the work you went to to finish it. The other basket has such a different feel to it and I like it. Great background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen, love all of your catch-up work! The fabrics in the long 8x12 block is very striking. Do you know the line it is from? Not that I need more fabric, but I'm always drawn to texty/wordy fabrics and I especially love the nature-theme print.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your fabric choices. Field Notes is one of my favorites. Looks like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always fun to see what you are working on - I love that gray basket on the botanical print fabric

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great applique project! That background on the gray basket is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all your projects--especially Piece and Plenty--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one reminds me of the sand buckets we would play with as kids. I guess they have all rusted away, would love to find one in an antique store.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your basket blocks! The door knob hanger is so cute, also.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your little snowman. Just right for today when I look out the window at some snow laying on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have been busy. Love all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really love that sand pail - I love their patterns, and fabric! Your basket and snowman are really cute. The background fabric for the basket is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. really nice. I just love the gray basket especially the background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Always so productive! Love your work! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete