QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Austin Bluebird Sampler Sections One Through Four

Here is the second big applique block for the "Austin Bluebird Sampler" quilt (designed by Minnick and Simspson).  This block is definitely more work involved than the first applique block.


I completed all the blocks for sections one through four and have them on the design wall.



I am well into section five.  This section is pieced blocks only.  The sections are designed so that at the end of section six, you have half the quilt together from top left to bottom left.  Then the next six sections form the right side of the quilt.  The instructions have been good thus far.  The first bird applique block is still my favorite.

I purchased the quilt in kit form so I have all the fabrics and patterns at once.  There are cutting guides to tell you what size pieces to cut from each fabric so that you can create your own kit sections.  The cuts are generous.  I used a Frixion pen to write on the very edge of each piece the size of the cut and which section it belongs to.  When I get to the instructions for each section, I follow the list and pull out the fabric pieces from the stack that belong to that section.  Having the measurements and section number on each has really helped in keeping things straight.

I think I will do a little embroidery tonight and then finish section five tomorrow.
Karen

33 comments:

  1. It definitely is another beautiful quilt designed by Minick and Simpson. Sometimes it's nice to get a kit. Sounds like you've developed a good strategy to keep everything straight so you're not short any fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really in love with this one - I do love everything they design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am really loving that and you are moving right along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful block and love the fabrics they gave you, it is going to be beautiful.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be done with this beauty in a wink! It is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those applique blocks. Everything looks so good together--going to be a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great method to keep things organized! It's looking fabulous already. Your applique work is always something I very much admire.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely looking quilt Karen - your work is very neat. I particularly like the block in your last post with the 'well known' Pear and Cherry tree!! It's called 'artistic licence I think LOL, and works very well

    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, un trabajo precioso y muy elaborado.
    un beso

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful block! I love the blue birds. I saw my first one ever here yesterday.
    The blue really sparkles in this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a great block and you are making great progress! Love watching this one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are fast! I have the kit too, and am still on the first block. You are inspiring me to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That blue fabric looks gorgeous. This is a different look for you but will be stunning I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are really coming along with your blocks--it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Un bloque precioso!!
    los pájaros azueles me gustan y los círculos perfetos
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful work! and you are sewing along so quickly! It's wonderful! Great idea to get the entire kit altogether. You will have it completed for Spring at this rate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. GORGEOUS!

    I just fell in love with this quilt when it first came out . You are a lucky girl to be able to make this quilt .

    Your blocks are just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Karen,
    wonderful blocks and what a smart idea with the pen. I tend to make marks too, when I think about it.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that ring of blue birds. What a happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the latest applique block and the process you described. This is going to be a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous - such lovely colours and charming applique!

    ReplyDelete
  22. STUNNING quilt!!!! This is going to be yet another heirloom!! Love it!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the bluebird wreath block is my favorite so far! Sounds like you're very organized and making great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your new quilt, that blue is fabulous! And as always you are on a roll. I like having a kit, it keeps me from getting bogged down in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful! I was very tempted to by that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the applique blocks, but the pieced sections really pull it all together. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Doing a bit of catching up! OMG, what a productive quilter you are! The Austin Bluebird is on my list of to do. Your quilt is stunning! Thank you for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete