QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Monday, February 9, 2015

Maple Sugar Hearts and More

A finished wall hanging.  It is made from a pattern in 101 Fabulous Small Quilts called "Maple Sugar Hearts".  The designer is Karen Costello Soltys.  I have been on a pink and brown kick and found all these fabrics in my stash.  I grew up in Ohio very close to where maple trees are tapped for making maple sugar syrup.  The pattern name makes me think of that.

I only had part of a fat quarter of the bird fabric used on the border so I added another brown to stretch it out.  Wish I had more of the bird fabric.  The heart quilt is finished with a combination of machine quilting and big stitch hand quilting.

I also finished a wool mat.  I took a free design that I think was meant for punch needle and enlarged it enough to make this wool mat.  The design did not have a signature on it but I think it came from Bird In Hand Primitives.  If you know differently, please let me know.  I cannot find it available any longer.


Lots of stitching going on here!
Karen

24 comments:

  1. I really like the effect of the bird border - very nice solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable sugar hearts wall quilt, Karen!
    Yes the pattern is from Robin of Bird in the Hand Primitives and is one in my stash too. When can I get to it?!! It looks good and fairly easy to stitch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that heart pattern, and have every intention of making it this month. I love pink and brown together, and that pattern is one of the reasons I purchased the book. Thanks for the motivation to get moving on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You really made that little wall hanging "pop" by using the bird fabric in the corners of the border. You are so clever. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love pink and brown! One of my favorite combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Brown. I consider it a neutral, and I especially love it with reds and pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your color combos for the Maple Sugar Hearts. I just love that name. And the way you used the bird fabric was perfect. It's a great idea when special fabric runs short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pieces and i love the heart piece.
    I think that would be fun to do with scraps and make minis for gifts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two wonderful projects...and perfectly timed for this time of year!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maple Sugar Hearts--love the name and the quilt! Your border solution was brilliant. I think it looks like it was meant to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two lovely finishes! It seems to be a common thing with me too, to be short of the fabric I want to use. It worked out nicely though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me gusta como has terminado tus bordes
    no podría estar mas bonito con otra tela
    siempre genial!!!
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your heart quilt is just adorable with the bird fabric border ! Love pink & brown quilts .
    Just Gorgeous !
    Your Wool mat is the cutest :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea of how to 'stretch' that fabric. It makes the piece even more interesting. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Maple Sugar Hearts is so sweet and that border fabric is beautiful--I love anything with birds on it! Clever idea to enlarge the punch needle pattern--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. M'agrada molt el quilt de cors. La combinacio de marro i rosa es molt bonica.
    Gràcies per ensenyar -nos un treball tant bonic.
    Petons i feliç dia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. M'agrada molt el quilt de cors. La combinacio de marro i rosa es molt bonica.
    Gràcies per ensenyar -nos un treball tant bonic.
    Petons i feliç dia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those Maple Sugar Hearts! I think the border looks awesome with the two different fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very clever border solution! I really like it. The wool is super cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your pieces border. So cute and original!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They're both sweet but I especially love that bird!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your "Hearts" quilt is adorable and the border is lovely. Having 2 different fabrics for the border out of necessity turned out very pretty, I think. And hearts of all different pink fabrics is fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love them both! The heart quilt is perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the variety of fabrics for the hearts.

    ReplyDelete