QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Ohio Collection Quilt Project

Lori from Humble Quilts and myself decided it would be fun to both work on a quilt project but needed inspiration.  We have similar taste so lots to choose from.  We settled on making quilts in an antique  multi-block style like those found in the Ohio Miami Valley.  Anita Shackleford published a book called the "Ohio Collection".   We will do a similar layout to the cover quilt and use patterns from the book and others that we like.


In the book, the pieced blocks are first followed by blocks with applique of any sort.  We decided to work on the first pieced block which is the log cabin and then the first block with applique which is the Cherry Basket.  There are four log cabin blocks in the layout we are loosely using.  I chose to only make one.  I substituted a Drunkard's Path block and another basket block with a bit of applique.  These two blocks are found on an antique quilt which is from the Ohio Miami Valley.



I chose to use colors for the quilt that look much like the antique quilt  that was our original inspiration.  Here is a picture of that quilt.


Lori will also be showing her blocks today.  Pay her a visit to see them.  If you are interested in Anita's book check here.  If you would like to know more about the Ohio Miami Valley quilts, go here.

Karen

26 comments:

  1. Love your blocks! Thanks for explaining it way better than I did! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, you did a wonderful job with your quilt. It really does look like an antique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another lovely choice of pattern begins...can't wait to see how they come out. It's so nice that you two can play off each other's inspiration. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are Gorgeous with that antique feel.
    Amazing pattern looking forward to watching your progress on this quilt :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those Ohio Miami valley quilts!! I would love to join you and Lori in this but I know the pace you 2 will set :0) I really like the drunkards path block you added. It will be an interesting project to follow your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I just clicked over and ordered my book, so I think that means I'm in! LOL It looks like a great quilt, it will be fun to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous projects.I'll follow your progress.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great quilt. Love the original coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilts will be wonderful. Looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH
    My
    GOODNESS!!
    I've had this book on my gift wish list forever!, and it never appears wrapped in birthday paper any year. :) I may have to break down and purchase it for myself since I've seen yours and Lori's blocks!!! Are you inviting others to join in on your block sewing?? :) You are such inspiration!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt and it will be fun to work along with Lori. I need to decide on a new project.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be a very nice quilt. I love the fabrics you chose. I am always amazed at how much you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to work on a design along with a friend--great motivation! It looks like a fun quilt--reminds me of the Minick and Simpson Austin Bluebird BOM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love Anita's work. It will be great to follow you both along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blocks have a wonderful vintage look, Karen. Nice job. I especially like that unique applique in the basket block. I've never seen one like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blocks, fun to see each of your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the antique look of your blocks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How gorgeous - I really love those colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun to make a quilt alongside a friend. I love the colours you're using for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. such a neat pattern. I know you will have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love this Pattern, Karen, can't wait to see what you are going to create, Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have that pattern but the eagle block has always kept me from making it...I like your version .

    ReplyDelete