QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Friday, March 27, 2015

Ohio Collection Quilt Update

The eagle was chosen for the next block Lori and I would stitch for the Ohio Collection quilt.  We felt the eagle pattern in the book was too fancy for the style of the rest of the quilt.  I chose to enlarge a picture of an eagle block from the book "Album Quilts of Ohio's Miami Valley" and created my own pattern.




The block shown in the book had a date of February 4, 1912 embroidered on the flag streaming from the eagle's beak.  I am originally from Ohio and decided to use the town name that I was born in and the year.  The block will be approximately 19 inches square when trimmed to fit into the quilt.

Be sure to visit Lori's blog to see her eagle.  And now Cathy from Big Lake Quilter blog has joined us.  She is playing catch up as she got a late start on making blocks.  Take a peek at her blocks.

There are two or three other quilters that are going to be making a version of the quilt but I don't know that any of them have a start on making blocks.  I will share a link when I know there is blocks posted.

I am enjoying making these blocks.
Karen

21 comments:

  1. Love your eagle! Can't wait to see it all together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great choice for your eagle! I have to make a pattern for my Alice Payne eagle soon -

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun to see both your eagle and Lori's this morning. So different but yet perfect for each of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the eagle you made Karen! Adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eagle blocks. I decided I wanted to do an eagle applique center for my hand pieced Lemoyne stars quilt but have been waffling over which eagle to use for at least the last 8-9 months. Perhaps I shall do a blog post and consult the experts... I commend you for deciding on your eagle and doing such a great job on him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your eagle block looks wonderful. I love the stars and the two color wings. Very cool that you can include some of your own history in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing Eagle Karen ! LOVE IT !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great eagle choice!, and I especially like that you've put in your hometown/date of birth. Also like your fabrics you've chosen. I'd also have to go shopping if I did all plain cottons. It's nice that you have a quilt shop close that carries that many choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear karen,your eagle looks great,and lori`s ,too,have a good time,susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your eagle is wonderful! Love it! The colors are just perfect for your sampler.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed at how you and Lori have so many projects going on! This is another great one with an eagle. Would you believe I've never made an eagle? Shocking, isn't it. I'm sure I will make one eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative of you to find a substitute pattern. Sometimes that is necessary to get what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your substitute eagle! He looks perfect for your project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your version and always love eagle quilts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great Eagle. I have been working on these blocks along with you but have not started thinking about that eagle yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keeping busy with your beautiful stitching😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comment on my blog. You are making some amazing quilts and I am enjoying the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your eagle is amazing - well done, and I love that you put your town's name and birth year in the flag. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen I love your eagle and the personalization you made - very very nice!!! Also love those colors,
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete