QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Friday, April 17, 2015

Ohio Connection - This Week's Update

I am working the Ohio Connection blocks and enjoying every minute of it.  Some new ones to share with you.

The Love Apple block.  This is the first block I included a print fabric.  I noticed that a print would sometimes be added to the quilts that were almost exclusively solid color fabrics.  I did not have a shade of pink in the solid fabrics that was not bright, so I found a print that would work.

Ohio Star block.

Old Tom.  Some of the quilts shown in the Ohio Miami Valley quilt book had this cat block included.  At least two of them had "Old Tom" embroidered or written on the background, so I have included it on my block.

Sweet Gum.  Rather than applique the stem, I used a tan square with white background connector corner squares.  An easy way to create  the stem section.

I chose to do a Christmas Cactus block rather than the Hollyhock block though I may change my mind and stitch a Hollyhock block in place of this one.  I found a picture of the Cactus block in some of the Ohio Miami Valley quilts.

Lori, Cathy, LuAnn, and Nancy are making a version of the quilt.  Check their blogs for updates too.

Karen

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear karen ,beautiful blocks,have a nice weekend,susi

      Delete
  2. I was just looking at Nancy's blocks this morning too. You girls are creating masterpieces. Each block is a little gem. I really like the solid colors you're using and just that occasional use of a print will be like a little surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :o)) Old Tom is funny and lovely !
    beautiful solid (with one print;o) blocks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you added the pink print! Nice blocks, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madre mía !!!
    todos estos bloques son preciosos
    la granada..... la tela rosa todo un acierto, me gusta
    y el gato divino
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blocks look great! You are making such great progress. I especially love the pink print you added and the sweet gum block is lovely! I think your cactus block turned out very well and will fit in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think the pink print set the flower off really well. All your blocks look lovely.
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these blocks! and I really like your special touches that your adding. The cat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blocks Karen!! Especially the Love Apple Block and Tom Cat one! Hugs,Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are lovely. The cactus and leaves are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love the Ohio Star and Sweet Gum blocks in the solids It really helps those crisp points just shine! Maybe that is why I like two color quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Like the Chirstmas Cactus block. They all are great. I should have joined but got too much on my plate right now. Can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The print was a great solution for the Love Apple (is that what they used to call a tomato?).
    I have to tell you that I love the Christmas Cactus. I knew that was what it was before I read your description, but as I studied it more I could see little plant people springing from that center circle and reaching toward each other. Makes me smile. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I scrolled down, each new block became my favorite, lol - but I think I love Old Tom best - because, kitty! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these blocks. Are you doing hand applique? Your fabric selections are perfect

    ReplyDelete
  16. addition of the Old Tom is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the tiny bit of print with your bold solids! These are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All lovely, but love the Ohio Star. Also love your new (?) header - not sure when you changed it, but it's really sweet

    Julia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pomegranate and the kitty is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen, un trabajo muy bonito.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great blocks Karen, I am enjoying sewing along with you and thanks for the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent Applique. Tiny stitches - just perfect work.

    Nanette - doitrightquilter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful blocks... love the Old Tom block!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a great post! I love to see all the blocks. Old Tom is so cute. I also love the ohio star and love apple - your solids are such great colors

    ReplyDelete