QUILT INFO

I used a Buttermilk Basin for the spring wool mat.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Redwork

I have been sick for 2 1/2 weeks with a miserable chest cold.  I am getting better but have had very little energy.

I cannot share the applique blocks I have been working on just yet so I am reaching back to projects in the works that I haven't shown on the blog.

First, I was I inspired by Karen of Moose Bay Muses blog to do some redwork blocks for a quilt.  The blocks in the picture will be much more interesting when I start adding red around them.  I am thinking of doing the blocks in the same manner Karen did.  Take a peek here to see her quilt in this blog post.   The blocks are from the Memory Bouquet pattern which is meant for applique.  I did the same as Karen and reduced the block designs by 30%.  I have several blocks to stitch yet and then will figure out the saw tooth borders.  Her quilt is very striking and I hope I can do something similar.


Another project sitting waiting for attention is making more blocks to go along with this one.

I used a design from a booklet put out by Bird In Hand Primitives called "Thyme for Valentines".  They are sized for punch needle but I enlarged the design and did a combination of wool and cotton applique.  I really have no specific plans on how many blocks but probably some more from that same booklet.

I have more projects in the works but will save them for another post.

For those participating in the Old Voices New Impressions sew-along, I hope you have had some time to start prepping blocks and maybe even doing some stitching.  I have made progress on mine. I plan on a progress report the end of July.  Try to do four a month but more if it suits you.  The blocks do not take a lot of stitching time for the most part.  I see that there is a copy of the book available on Amazon for $22.95.  For a while, the only ones still available were in the low $40 range.  So still time to join in.

Karen

25 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that you have been sick and hope you feel better soon, nothing worse than being sick and having no energy. I am fine as long as I can sit and work on something and hope you can take some time to relax and regain your strength by doing some small projects.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Karen,
    hope you will feel better sonn and get your energy back.
    Lovely red work project and applique block.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, Karen - get better soon, hon! I'm sorry you've been sick so long. And in summer, too! Your blocks are just lovely, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like that cold hit hard! No fun!!
    Sweet little redwork flower blocks. I hopped over to look at your inspiration and I see what you mean about the borders. Looks ambitious. : )
    Very cute primitive Valentine block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer colds are awful...sorry to hear. This looks like such a fun project. I am currently working on a little redwork block and ordered something to do more...must be in the air ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Those kinds of colds do just knock the puddin' out of you. Hope you're feeling better soon. But in the mean time, your hands haven't stayed too idle. Lovely redwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure hope you're feeling better soon - a summer cold is the pits, isn't it? Love that redwork and can't wait to see your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get well soon!
    Beautiful redwork basket blocks and your Valentine block too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the redwork project. I've often thought of doing one and even have a cute Christmas pattern. Maybe I'll dig it out and see if I can fit it in this year.

    I'm so sorry you have been sick. A cold with temps we've been having lately is no fun at all. Hope you are feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen I knew something was up because I haven't seen you blogging. Hoping you are feeling better very soon. And yes I have been prepping my blocks too...take care of yourself and love the red work....many hugs. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to her you have been sick . Take care and get better soon.
    Love your redwork little blocks and the valentine block too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sorry you were ill for so long....hopefully this warmer weather will help! I love that redwork--so pretty.hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you feel better soon! Thanks for sharing some projects - I had a peek at the redwork finishing ideas and enjoyed all of them. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, deseo que pronto recuperes tus energías
    y ver los avances de tu edredón redwork
    veré el blog que compartes
    buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH nothing worse than a summer time cold! Hope you are better very soon. I like your redwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Karen, so very sorry that you have been under the weather. Praying for quick healing!!!

    Your redwork is lovely!! I also caught up on your last couple of blogs and Love, Love, Love the doll quilts!!! So wonderful!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen I'm so sorry you haven't been well - summer colds are miserable. Well, of course so are winter ones! :) Can't wait to see how you finish the red work. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear you've been sick. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the shout-out! Your blocks look great and I love the applique block--so cute! I hope you are feeling better soon--it stinks being sick in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you feel better, you poor girlie! No fun being sick. Love your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, Karen - that's a long time to be sick. :( I hope you recover very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is nice the price has come down a bit on the book. Love your stitchery and applique. I hope you are feeling better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No fun being sick, but at least you have been able to do some sewing. I love Karen's quilts! And I love to embroider, but haven't done any for quite a while because I started getting interested in knitting. So many wonderful projects - so little time! Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you are feeling better by now - I'm sure you are.
    The red work is lovely

    ReplyDelete