QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Monday, August 24, 2015

War and Pieces

I made two blocks for the "War & Pieces" quilt I have had in the works for a long, long time.


Faithful Dog


Home Front

The pattern is by Barbara Brackman and Karla Menaugh and has a date of 1999 on it.  Out of print.  I saw two of the block patterns on E-Bay recently.  Here is a picture of all the blocks I have done to date.


The soldier on the horse is not from the pattern.  A friend also made the quilt and she substituted this block in place of one of the shield blocks.  She shared her design with me.  Two more blocks to stitch and then the border.

The dog block was a bit harder to stitch because of the framework around the dog house.  I was glad to get the block done.

I am participating in a Fall Small Quilt Swap.  I received this one from Belarmina who lives in Spain.


She also sent me a small handmade pouch with a very pretty mirror in it.


Enjoy your day and take time to join me in some quilt making.
Karen

21 comments:

  1. Love your War and Pieces quilt -- the dog block may have been tedious, but the doghouse trim adds a lot to the design.

    These patterns may be referred to as primitive, but your beautiful appliqué is anything but.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your War and Piece blocks are AMAZING and the dog with the Dog house is perfection :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Homefront is just wonderful looking! Love those prim animals. And your little swap piece is very sweet.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking blocks! The doghouse would be challenging. You did well.
    I like that substitute block. Your applique work is incredible. I always stand in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your applique is ALWAYS so nice! Thanks for sharing your blocks - it is fun to see older patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me gustan todos los bloques!!!
    pero los animales son perfectos, el bloque perro fiel una delicia
    buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blocks! I'd never have that kind, of patience but can sure appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blocks and that is going to be a beautiful quilt. I still have to finish my civil war ladies, but at this point, I can do it for next year. I need someone to keep me motivated;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You received a nice swap from Spain.
    Your appliqué is perfect, as usual. I am always amazed at how much you accomplish in quilting. Your blocks are always so detailed

    ReplyDelete
  10. These blocks are so pretty. The folky animals are so cute. Such a nice little swap quilt you received, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful blocks. Each one looks like a lot of stitching, but your work is lovely, as always. Cute little swapped piece. How special that it came all the way from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Karen, those are wonderful and I so admire your skill and patience. You are doing a beautiful job. As you know my hands and brain rebel at such intricate applique. I could barely manage a wavy rope down the sides of my "Everyday" sampler! I look forward to seeing your finished quilt. No pressure, tho... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the blocks--Faithful Dog is my favorite--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! This is going to be one awesome quilt--love the block with the eagle and flags

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great applique project! I am enjoying a little hand applique today myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blocks Karen, I think Home Front is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the first block with the dog in it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I simply ADORE your applique blocks! Fun swap! Isn't Belarmina sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job Karen and I love your little quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the blocks. Not sure which I enjoy more, the trees or animals! Must have been a really fun swap.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations for your blocks !! They are so beautiful !!
    The present you received from Belarmina is so sweet.......

    ReplyDelete