QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Sally Post Quilt Top

I finally have my Sally Post quilt top put together.  I had to lay it outside on the lanai to get a picture.



When I was working on adding the sashing and setting rows together, I discovered that I was missing two of the blocks.  It took me a while to find them and then to find time to finish the construction of the rows.  I set the blocks with three rows facing towards each other much like the original quilt.  The blocks were a free block of the month on Sentimental Quilts but there is a charge for the pattern set now.  You can get a printed pattern or as a download.  Gay Bomers often has a discount available on the digital patterns if you are interested in purchasing it.  You can also read about what information she has on the maker of the original quilt.  The original quilt has a date of 1854.

The red setting fabric is from an old Smithsonian reproduction line.  The local quilt shops did not carry a reproduction pink fabric that would work with it.  I had to order a couple times online to get one that would work.  The perils of purchasing online is that you aren't sure if the color you are seeing is the actual shade.  I can always use the fabric in another project of the one that did not work for this quilt project.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Karen


27 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful! I just love it! I do a considerable amount of ordering online since the nearest shop that carries repros is 2-1/2 hours away. It's always a bit of a gamble with color, but like you say, if we order something that doesn't work for the project in mind, it can be used in another project down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! You did a spectacular job setting these blocks together! Beautiful hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love red and pink together.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love red and pink together.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! love the fabric you choose to set those sweet blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, I love red and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous, love your work on it and the colors you used.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing this beautiful top, I also love your new header and your New Impressions blocks (I've been catching up on some pverdue blog reading)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same trouble ordering online. That's why I do it so rarely! Your pink is absolutely perfect for the quilt though--good for you! Love this top. It's a wonderful quilt top and the workmanship is something to be proud of.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In spite of your difficulty finding the right pink, this turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen están bonita tu colcha!!!!
    yo conseguí los patrones en una descarga,
    espero que mi tela rosa funcione bien
    buen fin desemana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on a lovely finish. The colors are just beautiful and so much work involved here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a awesome finsh. The red and pink look fantastic together. Glad you had that older Smithonian fabric in your stash to use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it's so pretty--great finish! I've been skunked by some of my online shopping sprees too. I keep telling myself that I will only order fabrics from lines I'm familiar with, but I don't always listen--lol! The worst is when it looks like a beautiful blue on the computer screen and when it arrives it's green--hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting to have the top done!! Woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, it's so lovely. It looks like it was a lot of work too. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful Karen! I love the pink fabric you have used in the wide sashing strips too. The setting sets off the blocks perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Karen this quilt is amazing,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Sally Post top is gorgeous! How wonderful to have it done. I have the pattern, it is my list to do. I know what you mean about fabric shopping online. I have had my share of mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning quilt Karen !!!!!
    Congratulations on a Awesome finish !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on finishing a lovely top.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super finish! Looks like you found the perfect fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful quilt top! I'm so glad that you were able to find the two blocks that wandered off. Sometimes it's a miracle that I can find anything, LOL! The pink that you finally settled upon is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on such a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wonderful finish! congrats - it is so very very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karen that is really beautiful - I think I have those pattern blocks saved somewhere on my computer. Well done, and amen to the shopping online thing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sally Post turned out just wonderfully!! I want to start on mine when I finish Benjamin Biggs (which is stalled out right now - boo hoo!!). Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete