QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Sunday, July 3, 2016

My Gwennie Inspired Medallion Quilt Round 2

Most of you have seen many quilt bloggers showing their Gwennie Inspired Medallion quilts.  For those of you not aware of the challenge, the center of the medallion was to be some sort of basket quilt block.  My basket is more of a pot but some baskets do not have tall handles so it this design is what I chose to use.  The first round to surround the central design was selected by one of the participants and the theme was "Childhood".  The next round selected by another person is "Log Cabin".  And so on.

My first thought when I read "Childhood" was learning my ABC's and numbers.  I chose to use a cross stitch design and a square of blue to represent each cross stitch.  The border needed more though.  When I was growing up, we had apple and cherry trees in the yard and strawberries in the garden.  All of which I was quite fond of eating.  I used simple applique designs for these.  I needed to fill more space in the borders so I made arrows to fill in where needed. Stars for the corners.  This is what I came up with.




I am linking up with Cynthia's blog post on Wabi-Sabi Quilts.

Karen

28 comments:

  1. Your border and all the elements look wonderful, Karen. Your blue and red are as beautiful now as when it was only the basket in the center. I'm looking forward to your log cabin border.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is just delightful! And how appropriate for this holiday weekend. I really like how the arrows draw your eye to the other elements in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your borders Karen, I don't think I saw your centre the first go around it is also lovely. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your addition!!! Your block is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful interpretation of childhood. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your graphics palette : the use of two colors ...
    Nice memories express likely childhood...
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just so interesting how so many of us have mentioned trees of some kind from our childhoods! Very nice border and it works so nicely with the lovely basket center.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very clever. the arrows remind me of "sorry" the boardgame arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have interpreted the border in such a clever way. Each element is well done and the overall effect is very pleasing. (And I am still in love with that center!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not only is this quilt going to be beautiful it is going a reflection of YOU! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are not many to remember school ah ! Ah ! but i agree with you, we all began by the letters and numbers !
    I love your lovely interpretation of childhood and the setting of your border !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen I love your border. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen siempre me sorprenden tus trabajos,
    ¡¡¡fantástico !!!
    el edredon de cabecera muy bonito,
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours is my favorite interpretation of this challenge that I have seen. Very traditional, but well within the guidelines. Just gorgeous work as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ABC's is such a great idea! I love your entire border, especially the cherries on top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! I love this challenge, and wish I had seen it sooner. I'm still considering on joining in on the fun....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your second round has a delightful and prim style. Just what I'd expect from you! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice medallion start, and I love your second round. I also really like your sunflower header.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's lovely. I like the red, white, and blue theme. It's so crisp and clean looking. I love high contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you did your block and the added border designs, really wonderful.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty and creative. The colors look so good together. 'Love the ABC's 123 cross stitching. I am also enjoying this QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolute perfection! Love this! Your version of this QAL is my favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning Karen! Neat way to design a quilt with a group and a "stated requirement theme". Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great addition for this round of the QAL! I love the green you have chosen for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it Karen! The colors are pretty fantastic too. The memories are so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the Sampler-look! Great interpretation!! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the next round!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just cannot believe the creativity here! I love this one! It seems that everyone has had fun with this border.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,
    Your block is so beautiful!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete