QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Monday, November 14, 2016

Old Voices New Impressions Flimsy

It took two quilt holder people to hold up my completed quilt top "Old Voices New Impressions".  A visitor today so I was able to take a picture for my blog.  The blocks are from Jeana Kimball's book by that name.  The block designs were enlarged from the original size.  I would not mind using some of the block designs in a second quilt of some sort.  I like the folk art look of some of them.


I enjoyed stitching the applique blocks very much.  They were all fairly easy to do.  I am often asked what method of applique I use.  I do needleturn.  I trace the applique shapes to freezer paper, cut them out, and iron onto the selected fabrics.  Trace around the shape with a Sew-line pencil in either white or pink.  Cut out leaving a turn under seam allowance.  I like to have the design traced onto the background so I have placement markings.  Pin a shape in place and stitch.  I use a straw needle and 100% cotton thread in either Mettler 60 wt. thread or DMC 50 weight.

I have another set of blocks that are from other Jeana Kimball and Laurene Sinema designs.  I have not started the border applique process and probably will not until next year.

Karen

38 comments:

  1. Such beautiful work. I love needle turn applique. That is truly a beautiful quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so pretty, Karen. I am in awe of your applique--and thrilled to be blessed with some of it!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Beautiful work, Karen.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really came out beautifully and love the setting, can't wait to see it quilted.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love the traditional setting and the fabulous designs!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear karen,that turned qut very nice,love your applique,susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for this wonderful work Karen ! Your appliqué is awesome and I love to admire it ! Perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that your visitors stopped by so that we could see this lovely finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just beautiful Karen!! What size did you enlarge the patterns to?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! I don't know that I could wait until the new year to starting on the border. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! Loved watching your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful top! I can imagine you using the patterns again, I could do that too. It would even be good in felt probably.
    Have a good week,
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulation on this gorgeous flimsy! It is truly awesome! I love the old folks look too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Each block is a treasure by itself, but together they're absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful finish! Your applique looks great and it is just what my weary eyes wanted to see today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the folk art look of some of these blocks too. I think some of my favorites are the floral ones though. Beautiful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! It is absolutely wonderful! Your applique work is so nice and precise. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Karen, your flimsy is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen es una auténtica maravilla
    me gusta todo, colores, trabajo....
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a beautiful finish--I love each and every block!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karen, what a beautiful quilt you will have. Thanks too for sharing your method. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your quilt- You are an appliqué inspiration! When you began this quilt, and mentioned the book, I could not find it. I put a sticky note with the name of the book, on the wall of my work area. A couple weeks ago, I searched again and found a copy on Amazon for about $15.00! It is mine now! Yeah- great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I think it is interesting that the cornerstones are light. I never would have done that! But, I might now! :)

      Delete
  23. Congratulations Karen - Your finished quilt top is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEAUTIFUL Karen !!!! STUNNING QUILT !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your flimsy is absolutely gorgeous. I can see why you want to make some of those blocks again, they are all pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Karen, your Quilt is absolutely Beautiful!!! I am so very much behind, but now I think is a good time to start this up again. I love your sashing and borders. Another great quilt you created, Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your version. I have everything on hold, but a couple of sewing days booked in January should result in my blocks becoming a flimsy. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! The colors are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is absolutely gorgeous Karen!! Nice job staying focused!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful finish!!!!!! I absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete