QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Shenandoah Botanical Catch Up and A Cheri Basket

I am still behind on the Shenandoah Botanical blocks but am working towards a catch-up.  I am not fond of the Peony block.  I used two pinks for the flowers.  First time doing the block, one of the pinks was a pink and off white check.  Close to finishing the stitching, I decided it made a busy block look way too busy.  I hesitated replacing the pink check flowers as I had already spent a lot of time on the block.  I looked at it for many days and finally decided the pink check had to come off.  I took a picture of the block but discovered it was a blurry picture and not true colors.  So I cannot show you the original version.  Here is the second go round stitching the block and with a few less flowers than the original version.


Maybe if the green stems were not a roses on green print fabric, the block would not have looked as busy with the pink check.

Next, I made the basket block from the free design Cheri Payne shared with her Facebook group.  Her design had the basket shape and a variety of parts that you could arrange in any fashion you wanted to.  So many great blocks have been made by some very creative people.  If you are not a member of the group and like a prim style, be sure to join here.


I used all cottons on my block.  Many of the participants have used wool or a combination of the two.  There will be more blocks added to the sew-along.

Tomorrow is an update on the ABC Sampler sew-along I am doing with Lori of Humble Quilts.

Karen

19 comments:

  1. I think your blocks are wonderful and I love the print you used in the basket, really nice touch.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your peonies are very pretty! I'm working on some applique this year and like doing it a lot more than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these blocks! I can't believe you replaced the pink flowers! It is a beautiful block.
    Love your prim basket too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Cheri basket looks so good. I like the combination of fabrics you used for the basket and handle. I'm playing along with this quilt-along, too, but stumbling because I'm new to primitive. It's been interesting to watch how other quilters use the pattern pieces, which they include/exclude, and how they place them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen veo tu bloque peonias muy bonito,
    la tela de la cesta es preciosa,
    me encantan los dos bloques
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are both beautiful ! I love the fabric of the basket !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Peony block is busy, but nicely done. Those flowers don't look a bit like peonies to me, though. I adore your Cheri Payne Block. You always have the knack of nailing these designs! Happy stitching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Pink Touch Me Not block re-do looks fabulous Karen.
    That one (in my opinion) had way too many petals in the original design.
    Your basket block is sweet AND beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replacing after a lot of stitching is always a tough call.
    Your blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that peony block is intense! I can't imagine having to replace any of it, but your finished block is very pretty!
    Nice outcome on the Cheri Payne block.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a hard decision to redo. But when you keep looking at it and you know deep down it isn't right it's best to do it now rather than later. Your block is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always a hard decision to redo. But when you keep looking at it and you know deep down it isn't right it's best to do it now rather than later. Your block is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice blocks, Karen. I don't think you would have happy without the re-do. You put so much work into these lovely blocks it would have been a shame to have one that your weren't pleased with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like both blocks - Very interesting color combo on the first block

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful peonies, Karen! Love your basket too, love all the variations on the group!

    ReplyDelete
  16. pretty blocks. always good to see what your working on

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your basket! I haven't started mine yet, but there sure have been some beautiful ones on FB to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that basket, so thanks for the link to the group. I've sent a join request. I appreciate the link.

    ReplyDelete