QUILT INFO

I used a Buttermilk Basin for the spring wool mat.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Shenandoah Botanical Update and A Cheri Basket Block

I am getting closer to being caught up with the Shenandoah Botanical  quilt blocks.  Here is last month's block.  My original picture was too bright so I went for a darker picture but it is too dark.  Kind of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  So use your imagination and picture it as between the two pictures.  This is the Red Tulip block.


I am enjoying doing the basket blocks from Cheri Payne's Facebook group.  If you are not familiar with it, she is giving us a basket pattern and then a sheet with a variety of applique shapes that she used.  You pick and choose and do a layout without knowing how she used the shapes.  Or you can wait until she shows her block.  I am amazed at the variations that people have come up with.  Some make me wish I had thought of that layout before I stitched mine.  Here is my block three.  I used a star shape from a previous basket pattern.


And here is a picture of all three blocks shown side by side.  I have no idea what the layout will be when the blocks are done.


I have been prepping blocks for a Jan Patek quilt pattern called Pine Tree Ridge.  I think the selection of fabrics and prepping the parts is one of my favorite parts of making quilts. You can see the pattern here if you are not familiar with the design.  Scroll down until you find it on the right hand side of the page.

You will find me in my sewing room.  Wish you could join me.
Karen

23 comments:

  1. I like the light one, shows the fabrics better and not too light on my screen. The basket blocks are beautiful and look so nice together. I tried some stitchery but that is harder since i have to bend my arm more.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top photo is definitely a lot clearer. Love the basket blocks, what a fun idea to make your own applique combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a chuckle about the too light/too dark photos. Been there, done that. But it is a beautiful block, no matter the lighting.
    Those basket blocks are so fun! You have such a knack for choosing the fabrics. These is really appealing.
    Pine Tree Ridge is a great design--so you!!
    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen los bloque tulipanes me gusta.
    me encanta tu cesta
    como has encajado las hojas de acebo
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your applique block is lovely. How many more blocks are there to go in this quilt? I really like the basket blocks. They are really cute. I'm going to check out the Pine Tree Ridge pattern now. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All beautiful. The basket blocks look great together. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blocks. I am getting so ansy....I want to do some applique so bad but it is still to painful. So I will live through your applique for the time being....lol Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your basket blocks are so folksy and lovely. It will be fun to see what layout Cheri chooses. I also checked out the Jan Patek link. I love her designs. Pine Tree Ridge will be fun. I also loved the Rufus in the garden quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blocks! I've been collecting the patterns for Cheri's baskets, but haven't had a chance to start anything. I love that you are using cottons and not wool as so many are doing--very pretty! I have to admit that the planning of a new project is the most fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Id love to join you in your sewing room! Great applique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to need a huge sewing room if we all come over! LOL. I would love to be there! You are very inspiring :o) Beautiful baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your botanical block is Beautiful! And I love your sweet basket block. (the whole series of them so far are fabulous)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the Cheri Payne baskets, but those Shenandoah Valley blocks are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooo - the blackbird basket block is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shenandoah is very pretty and the others are just plain fun, especially that blackbird! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. those baskets blocks are wonderful!l
    pretty tulip block

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in love with these basket blocks! If I had a facebook account, I'd be stitching right along with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your latest Shenandoah block is another example of your wonderful applique ability.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your joy and skill with fabric selection show in your projects!
    More wonderful blocks this month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your version of Cheri's blocks. I see on FB how different everyone's is turning out. They are all nice though.

    What is your favorite kind of thread for hand applique'?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Shenandoah block is gorgeous! I didn't start Cheri's baskets, but I may have to go back and catch up. I love the ones I'm seeing on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are the cutest blocks shown all together. I love the colors you have chosen for the fabric.

    ReplyDelete