QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Slow Stitching Sunday

On this Slow Stitching Sunday, I have just completed an applique block for a Jan Patek design found in her "Garden Spirit" book.


I prepped the blocks for the quilt a few years ago.  I don't remember how long ago that was.  I started the applique process and ran into a problem.  The whole quilt project went into a large plastic container in the quilt closet.  I don't remember what the problem was.  I think it was getting the various parts to fit on the block.  I stitched part of the design and then did not have adequate room for the circles and leaves.  Now that I am more skilled with applique stitching, I am going to tackle the quilt blocks again.  I have taken the design elements and traced them onto freezer paper as they will go onto the quilt block.  I will use a light box to trace the design onto the block background so that I know where things go and then stitch.  I am working on several quilt projects so I am not in a hurry to complete the quilt top.  When it gets done, it gets done.  Stop back to check my progress.

I am linking to Kathy's "Slow Stitching Sunday".

Karen

30 comments:

  1. I love that block and the fabric you chose for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really sweet -- I'm not familiar with the book, I'm gonna have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabrics and colours you have used,,I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to open a box and wonder what the problem was that coused it's disappearance! So glad you have been able to resolve the layout issue and continue with the project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen que bonito trabajo !!!
    me encantan estos colores y telas
    buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful block. I too often don't remember why a project stalled the way it did, but sometimes I guess it just waits for us to build up the skills to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a counted cross stitch project that go put away because of a problem and I hope to get back at it this summer. I don't know what the problem was... your block is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet block love the bird !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The background fabric is fabulous. I'm glad you made a success of this block. The orange flower fabric is unique and really sets the block off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes projects just have to mellow in the closet while we learn new techniques. This block will be easy for you now. The flower fabric creates wonderful movement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That block is pretty. Good luck with fixing the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful block and good that you got back to it.
    I have so many unfinished projects, I think I will have to decide what I really want to do and maybe pass along the others.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love it! Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow--the fabric for the large flowers gives this block such pizzazz! And that is a great, slightly muted background fabric. Seems to lend the actual applique even greater clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute. The grey looks great with the bright red and yellow. Appliqueing is fun, but sometimes I haven't judged my pattern correctly and ran out of room for the whole design also. 'Know that feeling, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so pretty with those colours. I love the blackbird!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a charming block--and great fabrics! Looks like you have another great project underway :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the orange fabric ! It matches perfectly with the grey !
    Lovely block as usual Karen ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful UFO! I hope you enjoy working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You always have wonderful projects in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh yes, i love this prim block. looking forward so seeing more of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this block Karen! Also love those vibrant fabrics you used to make all of your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you find time to finish up this cute project--love those stripey flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your block with its pretty grey and oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A little experience makes such a difference, doesn't it? Very pretty block.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a really cool block. Glad you decided to get it back out!

    ReplyDelete