QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Stonefields and Noah and Matilda Blocks

The next batch of Stonefields blocks.  I like the cross blocks.  Fun to select the fabric for them.


I did not enjoy making this block and the red flag fabric ran when I rinsed the block.  I think the red will come out but I am not going to worry about it right now.  There were to be two of this design but I went back to the star in a star design and made a second one of those.

The block on the left is the star block I made previously.  The one of the right side is the new one.


Nothnig exciting about the four patches on point.

The flower block is an odd design.  I thought about making a change or two to the design.  Then I thought it has an art deco look and went ahead with it as drawn.


Dawn from "Collector With a Needle" has started a "Noah and Matilda" Facebook page for those that have either made a quilt from the pattern set, working on it, and wanting to begin.  The pattern info is here.  I made several blocks quite a few months ago and then got hung up when I got to the block shown below.  I did fusible applique/stitched by machine and all those little grapes are so time consuming.  If I were to start over, I would have used wool circles stitched by hand or embroidered grapes.  Instead, I bit the bullet and slowly stitched around the grapes by machine over the last two days.


I have all the blocks temporarily on the design wall.  Not in any particular order.  You will note that the block above is not the only grape style block.  The original quilt maker must have loved doing the circles more than I did.


I have used a lot of Kansas Trouble fabrics with others mixed in from stash.  I wish I had used more variety of greens in the cactus block but I am not going to re-do it.  I have all the rest of the blocks fused and ready for machine work.

Stitching away!
Karen

20 comments:

  1. Gosh, sorry about that red running. Maybe you can eventually get it out. I probably wouldn't use that fabric anymore though. Noah and Matilda is looking great. I didn't earlier you had so many blocks done. Yes, using wool for all those GRAPES! Would have been a good idea. I think sewing around them by machine is probably slower than hand appliqueing them, at least for me and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those blocks and love blocks with crosses in them. The blocks on the wall look so beautiful together.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Stonefields blocks are very unique. I love seeing what is next.
    Oh, I would never get past all of those grapes no matter what form of applique was used.
    The blocks all look so good together up on the design wall. Are there just four more blocks, or does it go beyond that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those blocks!!
    The blocks all look so good on your design wall,...
    Greetings from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen me encanta esta entrada.
    Los pequeños bloques Los Stonefields preciosos ¡me encanta la flor!
    Tengo los patrones de Noé y Matilde, pero me asusta empezar otro trabajo en este momento (veré si puedo esperar)
    buenos días

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Stonefields blocks are lovely and so is the grape block. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really ARE stitching away! Look at all that goodness in your pic's. I giggled over the grapes going to the machine. I would have never attempted it in the first place. That is going to be one incredible quilt! Yikes! on the red fabric running! I hope it comes out. You said nothing excited about the four patches on point.... lol.... but that's exactly what I want to make for myself next from scraps. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH darn, I am sorry that red bled...and hope the dye comes out. Your blocks are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cross blocks. The grapes sound challenging but you did it!

    Your Noah and Matilda is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blocks, Karen. Reds! Aargh!!
    Your Matilda blocks look great all together- the background is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your blocks--you are really making progress on Stonefields! I'm not a fan of making so many little circles either, but your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your blocks. Stonefields is going to be a fantastic quilt. Noah and Matilda looks good. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, Karen!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use sheets called "color catchers' that I buy in the laundry isle at the grocery store, or Walmart--it collects any dye that runs on fabric and then it doesn't stay on the other fabrics--I use them in the washing machine if I add something new to the load that has a dark color in it--and I use them for hand washing--I have at times even used them like on this block--lay one under the area where it bled and add some water from the top-like on a cloth and keep dabbing the area--it will sometimes remove that color stain--good luck--
    enjoy the moments,di

    ReplyDelete
  15. That star in a star design is the best pattern ever. I love seeing all your beautiful blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are doing great with Stonefields. Also the Matilda! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a different looking flower, but I too love its retro look. Love seeing this quilt come together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both sets of blocks are going to make beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the Stonefield flower is very cool and different. I really like the reproduction you are using.Matilda blocks are wonderful too. You are getting a lot stitching done. Yea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How absolutely frustrating to have that red run, that's not an easy block! But it's beautiful. I love them all, but I'm really partial to that Art Deco flower!!!

    ReplyDelete