QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Fern Rose

I came across some applique blocks I made quite some time ago.  I don't know why they got set aside as all were done.  I decided to put the top together before they got lost in the shuffle again.  I used a toile for the sashings between the blocks.  I then pieced bunches of hour glass blocks in reds and off white fabrics.  I should have over size cut them but did not.  I may have had better luck getting borders to fit had I trimmed them to size after piecing.  I ended up tossing all the blocks in the waste basket and going with a red print for the border.  I will use a red binding after it is quilted.


The pattern I used is called "Fern Rose" and was designed by Alma Allen.  It is found in their book "Nuts and Berries".  It is 54 inches wide by 66 inches long.  I would rather do blocks of different designs instead of repeat but changing the fabrics for each block kept it from being boring.  And the applique was not hard to do.

Karen




19 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful quilt and love the fabrics and colors, also the sashing and then another red border, that will really set it off beautifully.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely! Love all the colors :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you have rescued these blocks from obscurity. They have come together very nicely (with your help, of course) to create a sweet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen precioso tu edredón con todos esos tonos verde
    el rojo del remate sera fantástico
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful, Karen! Do you use freezer paper to applique?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt. Isn't fun to find a treasure hiding away. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good. You had a Nanette problem - I love the trash can throw when it is a hopeless cause! I prefer non-repetitive, but some quilts really do look good with them and yours will be pretty. Are you going to quilt it or send it out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I can hear the 'relief' and the 'happiness' of those blocks that you found them and finished them into a top before they got 'lost'in the sewing room--they were sure that you had forgotten all about them!!! Pretty top and i like how you did use some different fabrics on the same style block to add a bit of 'charm' to the quilt!!!
    enjoy the moments, di

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great UFO!! Nice job. but I don't get why you tossed the wrong size quarter square triangles. why not cut them down and use them in another project? Such a waste to just toss them.
    I do like the red border, though.
    GREAT job on the applique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice finish! How fun to find those beautiful blocks! I agree with preferring to do all different designs--the same one gets a little tedious. Good for you to stick to it--you have a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful quilt Karen!
    Wonderful that these blocks were "found treasure" from your sewing room. I like the simple sashings you added, they really showcase your beautiful applique' work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a happy finish for you - we all have those blocks and projects aging like fine wine!
    Your applique is really wonderful and your fabrics are so pretty. How frustrating to do all that work on the pieced inner border though...but your solution worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, I know you hear this a lot, but you are one of the most talented quilters, ever. Yet another beautiful applique quilt...I just love, love, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those blocks ar gorgeous. I'm so glad you and these lovely blocks were reunited. It's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilt is beautiful, border rethinking notwithstanding, and I'm glad it was rescued from obscurity. That's a pattern that would be great to do if you have to often go sit and wait somewhere - like Little League games or a child's physical therapy class. I like the subtle variations from block to block.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a fan of actually doing the work for repeats, but like you say, changing the fabrics helps. The thing is, we can't help what we like to look at!:) Great looking quilt. It's got a simple, charming feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just stunning, Karen. The red binding will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete