Hurray! A finish. I hand quilted a small piece. It is called "Piece and Plenty" and is from a pattern designed by Cheri Payne. The only place the quilting really shows is in the darker tan fabric. The backing is a small print similar to the background on the front of the quilt. The thread color blends in so well that it does not show. I used elements from a quilt stencil that I have and it gives texture to the piece. I remember when I first started making quilts, I showed one of my quilts to an older lady that worked at the local quilt shop. The backing was a print fabric and I had hand quilted it. She said I wasted my time hand quilting because I had not used a solid background so it would show. Well, I do like to see fancy quilting but I also like print backings. So her disapproval did not change my mind. I left the one quirky triangle in the border just because it was quirky. So not perfect but that's the way it is.
I am down to eleven blocks left to applique for the Sally Post quilt I am making. I decided to prep all the blocks so I can just grab one and stitch and get them done. I pulled the block storage notebook out that I made last year. It has zipper pouches to store each block and its parts in. This is what it looks like.
Much to my delight, look what I found when I opened it.
The Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler Quilt pattern I have been looking for. You can see the quilt here. I had all the applique blocks done. When I prepped the applique block parts, I also cut out the pieced blocks. I took the notebook on a trip but left the pieced block parts at home. So they were never in the book. But when I got ready to sew the pieced blocks, I could not find the pattern. I searched and searched. I finally printed out a picture of the quilt pattern cover from Lori Smith's website and worked from that picture to piece the blocks. It has been months and the pattern remained lost. Well, this is why. During a clean up in the sewing room, I put the notebook up on top of the book case. Never opened it up as I had no applique blocks stored in it. I should have looked to see if anything else was in the notebook. I don't need the pattern now but at least its whereabouts are known. Mystery solved.
I will share two works in progress with you. The tops are completed and await quilting. The first one is "A Good Night". Another Cheri Payne pattern. It is wool applique on cotton. It will make a good prim addition to my holiday decorations.
The second is also a Cheri pattern. "Embrace Each Day" is what it is called. This one is also done with wool applique on cotton. The log cabin blocks were made with scrap pieces that I won in a give away that Cheri did. So appropriate to use them for one of her patterns.
I hope you enjoyed the photos of my projects.