Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Old Voices New Impressions Month Three

Here is the third set of four blocks for my quilt.  I am using the book "Old Voices New Impressions" by Jeana Kimball.

First up is the Tulips block.

Cherries and Strawberries.  My parents grew both and I have always loved fresh strawberries straight from the strawberry patch and cherries off the tree.

Moss Rose.

And last is the Bird and Trumpet Flowers block.

The bird block is my favorite this time.


Links to other bloggers working on the same quilt.  (I hope I can get this to work since I am doing this post ahead of time.)

Monday, September 28, 2015

Monday, September 21, 2015

Catherine's Garden Blocks Nine and Ten

My latest "Catherine's Garden blocks.  And done before the next set is available.

I am short on time this week but stitching as fast as I can in the time available.  I can't share what I am working on just yet.


Sunday, September 13, 2015

Slow Stitching Sunday

I decided to join in on Slow Stitchin' Sunday by doing the binding on this small wall hanging.

I showed the applique block back in June but just added the border a day or two ago.  Choosing the small pink check fabric for the border was the right choice for me.  Simple.  I big stitch quilted the piece with perle cotton thread.  I used wool for the flower stems.  The rest is cotton needle turn applique.  I used a design from a booklet by Bird In Hand Primitives called "Thyme For Valetines".  I enlarged the design to be able to use it for applique.  The piece measures 10 inches by 16 inches so not very big.

Stop by Kathy's blog to see what others are working on.


Thursday, September 10, 2015

Piece & Plenty Update

I made two more basket blocks for the "Piece & Plenty" block of the month quilt.  I am not keeping up with it like I should have been.

Now I will share with you a failure I had at making a floor cloth.  I used a Blackbird Designs pattern and was following their directions.  When I got towards the end, I had the stain ready to use but did not check the directions again.  If I had, I would have known to apply a small section of the stain and wipe it off before moving across the piece to apply more stain.  Instead, I applied stain over the whole piece and walked away.  When I came back to it, the stain was dry and made the piece too dark.  You can barely see the design I stenciled on the floor cloth.  I know of no way to salvage the project and it has stayed rolled up in the sewing room closet for ages.  I had intentions of starting from the beginning on another piece of cloth but needed paint.  I lost interest in the project all together.  I suppose I will donate the piece as is to the local church thrift store.  Maybe someone will think it is wonderful and take it home with them.  Have you ever made a floor cloth?  I had intended to use this on the dining room table.  A friend did one a long time ago from this design and I have admired it many times.

I am going to applique this evening.  See you later.

Monday, September 7, 2015

Lancaster Album and Sweet and Simple Update

I finished the border parts for Lancaster Album yesterday and put the top together today.  I used a pattern by Kathy Schmitz.  I did needleturn applique on this one.  The booklet is out of print.

I stitched more blocks for Sweet & Simple.

I put all that I have done up on the design wall.  These are not the order they will be sewn together.

I found a copy of an out of print quilt book that I have been searching for now for a couple years.  I feel very fortunate to have found one and at a reasonable price.  It would be nice if the museum re-printed the book.  It was published in 1980.  I think they would sell quite a few if they were available again.

Enjoy your Labor Day holiday if you live where it is celebrated.