Saturday, December 30, 2017

Early American Life Block 4

Just a short post today to share block 4 with you for the "Early American Life" quilt Cathy and I are each working on.  This is the Oak Leaf block.  I am anxious to see Cathy's version.  Click here to take a peek.

I have not been able to do much sewing.  A lot of company.  I wish you a very good New Year.  It will fast be upon us.  I have been writing the year as 1917 the last couple weeks instead of 2017.  I hope I do better at writing 2018.


Friday, December 15, 2017

Early American Life Block Three

Time to share block three of "Early American Life".  We are working our way across the rows of the pattern cover.  This time it is the Thistle One block.  A month ago, we began with Thistle Two just because it was in the first position on the pattern cover picture.

And just to remind you what Thistle Two looked like, a picture below.  Wonder why the pattern designer chose to create two different Thistle blocks.

Cathy will also be sharing her block today.  Here is the link.

By the time we share the fourth block, Christmas will be over.  Fast approaching and most of the gift making I would have liked to get done is not going to happen.  Life takes twists and turns.


Saturday, December 9, 2017

Playing With Technique

About 1991 or so, a quilting friend made the "Sailors" design from the Red Wagon book "Collections One".  Here is a picture of the quilt from the book.

I was intrigued by the sailors but was told the block design was fussy and tricky to make.  The block required templates to make it.  I tried making one block without success.  I had started piecing quilts in 1990 and my skills still needed improvement.  Many years later, I decided to attempt again to make one block.  I started with the head section and did not like the look of the sailor's hat and stopped.  I thought about the design some and thought it might be possible for me to get a nicer look using applique.  Finally, a couple weeks ago, I pulled the book out and decided to play with the design and was able to come up with a way to be successful with applique.  This time, I cut the hat in one piece instead of three.  I used a Judy Rothermel flag print and by placing the freezer paper template carefully, I was able to come up with a similar look of the original.  Here is my block.

I enjoyed making the block but decided I needed additional seam allowance for future blocks.  I made four more blocks having fun selecting fabrics for each one.  Those blocks have gone off to a friend and I forgot to take a picture before mailing them.  So no picture to share at this time.

Love those old Red Wagon books and so many of the designs within.