About 1991 or so, a quilting friend made the "Sailors" design from the Red Wagon book "Collections One". Here is a picture of the quilt from the book.
I was intrigued by the sailors but was told the block design was fussy and tricky to make. The block required templates to make it. I tried making one block without success. I had started piecing quilts in 1990 and my skills still needed improvement. Many years later, I decided to attempt again to make one block. I started with the head section and did not like the look of the sailor's hat and stopped. I thought about the design some and thought it might be possible for me to get a nicer look using applique. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I pulled the book out and decided to play with the design and was able to come up with a way to be successful with applique. This time, I cut the hat in one piece instead of three. I used a Judy Rothermel flag print and by placing the freezer paper template carefully, I was able to come up with a similar look of the original. Here is my block.
I enjoyed making the block but decided I needed additional seam allowance for future blocks. I made four more blocks having fun selecting fabrics for each one. Those blocks have gone off to a friend and I forgot to take a picture before mailing them. So no picture to share at this time.
Love those old Red Wagon books and so many of the designs within.