Monday, October 15, 2018

Dearest Boy and Mary Witherwax Updates

This time, the "Dearest Boy" pattern was a Darting Minnows block.  It took a couple tries to get the points right.  I used the Tri-Recs tool to do it.  Next block is an applique block.  Hurray!

I have not shown my focus fabric that I am selecting my colors from for the "Mary Witherwax" quilt design I am diligently working on.  It is a French General fabric which has pinks, reds, teals, purples,  green, and a bit of yellow.  The French General fabric lines seldom have any green prints.  At least not like in this border print.  I have added in fabrics that have similar color and look from other lines so I am not using all French General pieces.

I have finished many of the applique blocks since my last post.  Too many to do individual pictures or to have room on the design wall for.  I have taken pictures of four blocks at a time.

Some of my French General fabric pieces have large designs.  I am trying to fussy cut  parts of them in order to be able to make use of those pieces.  An interesting challenge.

Dawn Ronnigen and her daughter are the pattern designers for "Mary Witherwax".  The inspiration is an antique quilt in Dawn's collection.  You can see the pattern here.  There are 180 applique blocks in the pattern set, if I remember correctly.

Until next time,

Friday, October 5, 2018

Update Number Four Mary Witherwax Quilt

I have more Mary Witherwax blocks to share with you.  I am using mostly French General fabrics and have a lot of reds so many of the blocks feature that color.  I have added in other fabrics that seem to play well with the French General.

The above block is actually oriented in the pattern opposite of the direction I am showing.  After I stitched it, I thought it looked like a pumpkin or squash.  I should re-do the block so the writing is not upside down if I use it in this direction.

All the blocks I have done shown on the design wall.  I spent some time today prepping more blocks as I was down to about 1 1/2 days' stitching left ready.


Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Update Three For Mary Witherwax Blocks

I have another batch of blocks done for the Mary Witherwax quilt.

And a picture of all the blocks done thus far. 

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Dearest Boy Update and More Mary Witherwax Blocks

The 30th of September rolled around fast.  I took some time late this last week to make the compass block.  It is done in applique instead of being pieced.

Julie, Cathy, and Carole are also working on the blocks.  Click on their name to pay a visit to their blog.  This block can be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase program.  That is how I got my layout for the pieces rather than sort of guessing with the two pattern pieces given in the pattern booklet.

I managed to get several blocks made for the Mary Witherwax quilt.  If you remember from my last post, I am using background blocks that I already had cut out so they are a big larger than needed.  I will trim later.  And I have enlarged the patterns for a five inch size instead of the 3 1/2" from the pattern.  If interested in owning your own copy of the pattern or just seeing the whole quilt, here is a link.  It is a digital download pattern.

The block above has an art deco look to me but the antique quilt the designs are taken from is listed as circa 1850.  There are some unusual designs in the pattern set.

I am placing the blocks randomly on the design wall so the picture below does not show the final resting place or even the setting for the blocks.

I am using a lot of French General fabrics for the applique though I have mixed in a few pieces from other designers.  A bit of French General in the background pieces but mostly just what had been in my stash.

Thanks for the visit.