Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Jo's Floral Album Update

More blocks are completed for "Jo's Floral Album/Anna's Blue Baskets" (whatever you want to call it).

It is enjoyable selecting the fabrics for each block and stitching them as most of the pieces are medium size.  All the fabrics are coming from stash.  I am doing needle turn applique.  I have full size layouts from the pattern set so I use a washout pen to mark placement on the backgrounds.  I rinse the block when it is complete.  The reds sometimes run a bit during the air drying.  I have found that a generous spritzing of Shout and a run through the washer with other items, and then in the dryer that the runs of color have disappeared.  I do have the edges of the background pinked with a pinking rotary blade so I feel comfortable in doing this.  I also put a color catcher sheet in the washer.

Thanks for paying me a visit.

Monday, July 30, 2018

Dearest Boy Butteflies

The 30th and time for a "Dearest Boy" update.  This time it is the butterflies block.

It was a bit challenging for me to get the butterflies and antennae correctly placed so that they would fit within the ten inch block space.  I cut the block backgrounds larger in case of shrinkage during the stitching process so the extra you see is not really all extra background.

Julie, Cathy, and Carole should also have a block posted on their blog today.  Click on their names for the link to their blogs.


Thursday, July 19, 2018

Jo's Floral Album and More

I have two blocks done for Jo's Floral Album.  Only I am using the Anna's Blue Baskets patterns instead.  They are the same block designs only larger in size than Jo's Floral Album.  I want to do the setting like the Floral Album instead of Anna's Blue Baskets.  Does that make sense?  I am close to finishing the third block.

I finished the last two blocks for "Jo's Prarie Flowers Encore" and also the center medallion.  I will not be able to make the flying geese that will surround the medallion and set the rest of the blocks until sometime in August.  Just too much going on at this time.  I really like the large center block for this quilt.

I spent parts of three days making eight placemats for a gift.  I made eight last summer for a family reunion auction and they were a big hit.  The eight were identical and all in the blue and white from the "Rachel Remembered" line of fabric.  This time, I had enough left over to make four mats in the blue and white and four using another piece of co-ordinating fabric from the same line.  They all play well together.  It is surprising how long it takes to do the hand stitching part of attaching binding on the placemats.  But it does look good hand stitched.

Hope you enjoyed the view.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Dearest Boy Update

The 15th rolled around fast for me this month.  Time for another "Dearest Boy" update.  This time it is the Christmas tree block.  The tree has a star on top and pears as decoration.  The stories that go with each block are delightful.  You will enjoy them if you decide to purchase the pattern.

Two more quilters are joining in making the quilt blocks.  One is Doreen from "Aunt 'Reen's Place".  I don't know that she will be posting with our little group.  Just that she will be starting the blocks when things slow down for her.  The second is Carole from "Quilter On the Hill" which formerly was known as "Wheels On the Warrandyte Bus".  She shared a picture of a cute, cute calf which her family recently purchased.  It is what has drawn her to this album pattern.  Carole lives in Australia so she may not have her blocks posted quite at the same time as Julie and Cathy.  Just click on any of their names and the link should take you to their blog.

I have been busy making eight placemats for a gift.    The placemats have taken quite a chunk of time for something that looks so simple in style.  I am doing the binding on the last one and will share a picture in my next post.  I have some applique blocks to photograph and share with you also.


Monday, July 2, 2018

Catherine's Garden and Early American Life

I revisited an older quilt in progress and got the top put together.  The pattern is "Catherine's Garden" and is designed from an antique quilt by Dawn (Collector With A Needle) and her daughter Nora. 

I have had the sixteen applique blocks done for a good while.  I started the project without knowing exactly where I was going with it.  Just that I wanted to do the applique blocks and I wanted to use my fabric in stash.  I chose a pink and brown combo (it may not be to your taste unless you are drawn to pink and brown quilts).  I didn't know what I would use for the setting blocks and how the border would be done.  I did not have enough of the applique block background fabric for setting blocks and ended up using a dark brown screen looking print that I had enough of in stash.  I only had small amounts of the applique fabrics left.  Not really enough to do the border meant to be added to the quilt.  Just recently, I purchased this pink and brown floral print with no particular use in mind.  Today, it became the border for my quilt.  I don't have anyone to hold up the quilt top for a picture so it is floor pictures today.

I also finished the "Early American Life" quilt top.  I did the border different than the pattern instructions.  I used a Jo Morton border stripe print and like the way it looks.

Cathy (Big Lake Quilter) was making the same quilt along with me.  You can see her finished top here.

I still have many unfinished quilt projects in the sewing room but at least I have made progress.