Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Dearest Boy Block Update And A New Quilt Finish

The 30th has rolled around fast.  I stitched my block on Sunday evening.  I was about to forget about doing it.  This one is a tree block though I didn't see it as trees at first glance.

My "Old Voices New Impressions" quilt has the binding attached and I am calling it a finish.  The pattern is by Jeana Kimball.  The sunshine has caught a corner of the quilt in the picture but I think you can see the quilt just fine.  I loved every minute of stitching these blocks.

I used left over fabric for the backing plus added in a couple Civil War general panels that I had in stash.  I have more of those panels stashed away.  I thought I was purchasing yardage but it was panels instead.

I am working on sewing sashing to more Jeana Kimball blocks that I made a couple years ago.  I hope to get the inside of the quilt together so I can work on the borders.

That's it for now.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Mary Witherwax Quilt Top

The "Mary Witherwax" blocks have been sewn into a quilt top.  I had to go with plan B for the setting.  My original idea was to have three sections of blocks separated by bands of the floral border print going down the length of the quilt top.  A good idea but such a busy look with so many different applique block designs.  I tried separating the blocks with plain squares which resulted in a very "blah" look.  I tried a variety of background squares separating the applique blocks and still rather plain vanilla looking for some reason.  The quilt came alive when I set the blocks side by side....at least to my eye.  So, side by side on point blocks with the border print on the outsides of the quilt.  The top measures about 63" by 76 inches.

I have no one to hold up the quilt top for pictures so a floor view was the only option.

Now back to applique projects already in progress.


Thursday, October 25, 2018

Mary Witherwax Block Update

My final blocks for the "Mary Witherwax" quilt I am working on.  I am not doing the same layout as the pattern so I don't need all the blocks from the pattern set.  I had a layout in my mind but knew I would not make a final decision until I could lay the blocks out.  I could not get the look I wanted with alternating a variety of background pieces between the applique blocks.  Now I have them on point and side by side.  The blocks are consuming my family room floor so I need to make a final decision in the next couple days.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Dearest Boy and Mary Witherwax Updates

This time, the "Dearest Boy" pattern was a Darting Minnows block.  It took a couple tries to get the points right.  I used the Tri-Recs tool to do it.  Next block is an applique block.  Hurray!

I have not shown my focus fabric that I am selecting my colors from for the "Mary Witherwax" quilt design I am diligently working on.  It is a French General fabric which has pinks, reds, teals, purples,  green, and a bit of yellow.  The French General fabric lines seldom have any green prints.  At least not like in this border print.  I have added in fabrics that have similar color and look from other lines so I am not using all French General pieces.

I have finished many of the applique blocks since my last post.  Too many to do individual pictures or to have room on the design wall for.  I have taken pictures of four blocks at a time.

Some of my French General fabric pieces have large designs.  I am trying to fussy cut  parts of them in order to be able to make use of those pieces.  An interesting challenge.

Dawn Ronnigen and her daughter are the pattern designers for "Mary Witherwax".  The inspiration is an antique quilt in Dawn's collection.  You can see the pattern here.  There are 180 applique blocks in the pattern set, if I remember correctly.

Until next time,

Friday, October 5, 2018

Update Number Four Mary Witherwax Quilt

I have more Mary Witherwax blocks to share with you.  I am using mostly French General fabrics and have a lot of reds so many of the blocks feature that color.  I have added in other fabrics that seem to play well with the French General.

The above block is actually oriented in the pattern opposite of the direction I am showing.  After I stitched it, I thought it looked like a pumpkin or squash.  I should re-do the block so the writing is not upside down if I use it in this direction.

All the blocks I have done shown on the design wall.  I spent some time today prepping more blocks as I was down to about 1 1/2 days' stitching left ready.